Please help - Injured baby guinea chick

Harley2006

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
I have four guinea chicks in a cage and one of them broke her toe. It's hanging like a little rag. We tried to set it but she worked off our little bandage cast. She is walking around with a limp and chirping like the others...normally. So you think she's in pain? Is there anything I should give her? There was some blood so I cleaned the wound with water. Should I use an antibiotic? If so, which one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If she is walking around, eating, etc. you can choose to leave it or if you want to set it, place her foot on a piece of tape (sticky side up) and position all her toes as they should be. Place another piece of tape on top of the foot, sticking the tape together between the toes. Cut off excess from around the foot but not in between the toes. It should look like a ducks foot when you are done. Leave this on for about 5 days. Remove it very carefully (soak it in water if nec.). If the toe looks good, leave it or repeat this process until you think the toe has healed completely.
I personally would try to set it. I do not think she needs anything for pain (even tho I'm sure it is sore) nor would I use any antibiotics unless you see pus.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom