Please help! It’s an emergency!!!

msrockwood

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2022
I am very worried about my hen, she intermittently has labored breathing and also her vent is contracting. I’ve isolated her in a temperature controlled environment where she can rest. She laid an egg this morning so she isn’t egg bound. She has been pooping and looks pretty normal. Her appetite is down but she will eat scrambled eggs and does drink water. I’ve used VetRX and given her Tylan50 injections.She is very alert and standing most of the time. She seems to do better and then all of the sudden she starts at it again. There are not any vets in this area that see chickens and I’ve read all of my books but nothing seems to help long term. Any words of wisdom? I don’t want to lose her. I did notice a small black sore on her foot but nothing else looks out of the ordinary physically except for the breathing and contracting vent.

Last edited:
What is your location? Climate? Recent weather? Age of chicken? Any history of thin or shell-less eggs?

What dose of Tylan 50 have you given? How many over what time span? Have you varried the injection site to avoid necrotic tissue damage? Tylan is mostly a respiratory illness med. Does your hen have any symptoms of wet eyes, drip from nares?

Is there a wet discharge from her vent? Has she been spending time on the nest even after laying the egg? You should be aware that just because a hen has laid an egg that it's possible another egg can be close behind, causing a blockage. In fact, most egg binding involves two closely released eggs.

I am in East Texas, so it is very hot and humid here. Dottie is 6 months old. She was sneezing quite a bit before she started the labored breathing so that is why I started the tylan50. I did .5 cc from what I understand and please correct me if I’m wrong, I am to give those for 5 days. I did vary the injection site. I have also been giving her Epsom salt baths with a light massage. I haven’t felt anything out of the ordinary. She has been pooping alot the past couple of days. No wet discharge. Thank you so much for responding, this is my first time dealing with a sick chicken and it’s been so stressful for her and for me.

The Tylan should be give twice a day for five days. From her symptoms, it was a good call to start the Tylan. You do have the option of pulling the needle off and giving it orally. That's the usual way we do it to avoid the tissue injury.

The heat could be affecting her condition, if not directly contributing. It wouldn't hurt to give her electrolytes in her water for a few days to help stabilize her system.

Back
Top Bottom