PLEASE HELP! JUST FOUND MY FIRST EGGS AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Ok, so I went out to do my usual pool change and I was looking in my goat house and found that Road Runner by female buff duck had laid 2 eggs. I looked around and found another under the rabbit cages.

What do I do?
How do I know if they are fertile or not?
What do I look for?

My female is not sitting on them even though she has made a type of nest.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

This is my first mating pair and my first set of eggs!

I am so excited yet so worried and ive been up since 3 this morning and OMGOSH!

Please help!

Last edited:
Ducks or chickens? Regardless, if the mom is going to incubate them, she will lay them in a nest, but not start to sit on them until she's basically done laying the clutch. That way they all get incubated starting at the same time and will hatch around the same time.

Last edited:
What are you wanting to do with them? Have them hatch them?? If so, then your hen needs to be broody and sit on them. If she is not broody, then she will not sit. You could gather the eggs, but them big end up in an egg carton and put them in a cool place for a couple of days and see if she goes broody then you could put them under her, if not, your other option is to incubate them.

I want more ducks , but im not sure what the condition of the eggs are.
Its dark in the goat pen, and they looked kind of green. The other egg looked goo an white though. This is her first time so im not sure if she is one of those broody ones or if she just runs around. She made a nest, so I thought she might be broody, but im not sure.

Back
Top Bottom