PLEASE HELP! Lethargic Chick!

jtmorgan86

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
I brought home 10 chicks on Saturday. They hatched the Wednesday before. They were vaccinated for meraks and coccidiosis. They are on Poultry grain chick starter.
On Monday I noticed one EE chick standing with eyes closed. I started probiotics and electrolytes in a separate dish and hand fed her some. The next day she started dragging a leg. Sadly she passed Wednesday morning. NOW I HAVE ANOTHER STARTING! I did buy nutri drench (too late for the first chick) gave this chick a drop and made a batch 1qt water 1/2 teaspoon drench. Should I also offer fresh water or only drench water? Right now she is just standing sleeping I did see her eat some . I’m not sure what to do?
Is it failure to thrive? Is it coccidiosis? Attached pictures. This chick is a light Brahma.

Attachments

• 8AB1AC7C-D3A8-4869-96E0-E34644CF3803.jpeg
    8AB1AC7C-D3A8-4869-96E0-E34644CF3803.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 14
  • 584EAC98-1D9B-4928-AD77-8D56CD45B28F.jpeg
    584EAC98-1D9B-4928-AD77-8D56CD45B28F.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 7
What are your brooder temperatures? Anything like scented candles, overheated Teflon pans, air freshener. Could they have eaten the wood chips?
No to all those things EXCEPT wood chips I can not be 100% sure they didn’t. They are pine shavings and they peck around and “scratch” in them. The lower temp is 72 the highest side I admit I struggle with but it’s always 90 or above I can’t get the sweet spot of 95. Most of the time they are spreading out to sleep.

No to all those things EXCEPT wood chips I can not be 100% sure they didn’t. They are pine shavings and they peck around and “scratch” in them. The lower temp is 72 the highest side I admit I struggle with but it’s always 90 or above I can’t get the sweet spot of 95. Most of the time they are spreading out to sleep.
90 is fine, most people drop 5 degrees a week. You could dose with Corid to be sure about coccidiosis. It's hard to say.

90 is fine, most people drop 5 degrees a week. You could dose with Corid to be sure about coccidiosis. It's hard to say.
I have corid on hand these are my first vaccinated chicks I wasn’t sure how the vaccine played a roll with corid.

I separated her this morning I haven’t seen any improvement with 1 day of corid treatment. I gave her one drop of corid straight. The other chicks kept trampolining her. She was trying to peep but no sound comes out. 🥺 her feather growth seems stunted compared to the rest. I don’t know if she will make it. I am at a loss of what else to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom