PLEASE HELP ME FIND OUT WHAT THIS IS

Only problem with the frostbite diagnosis, which was my first thought as well, is that this roo's been inside all winter, in an apparently warm room. I'm not sure if I misunderstood, but I believe the condition started inside, so frostbite was ruled out. Unless he is in a freezing room or something, which I find highly unlikely. Maybe the blankets became wet somehow?

Regards,
Leaf

Here are a couple of other pics of frostbitten toes to compare:

23494_pict0001.jpg

LL

Here are a couple of other pics of frostbitten toes to compare: [COLOR=333333]
23494_pict0001.jpg
[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
LL
[/COLOR]
I was thinking that the second picture resembled it more closely, especially with the swelling above the black area where the blood flow has not been cut off. Perhaps the roo was brought in for the frostbite in the first place? I'm slightly confused... Regards, Leaf

What have you been able to do for him so far?

Is there an unusual smell?

Are his shanks hot to the touch? Or just the area right behind his toes?

Is there any discharge from the toes now?

How about from his noes or eyes?

How is he eating and drinking/ how is his appetite?

What first aid supplies do you have on hand?

Is he separated from others? What is his living set up? (Cage, his own room?)

Is he lethargic or weak in his movements other than his legs or inattentive (does he react if you enter the room, make a noise, poke his shoulder) ?

How is his breathing?

Any other information you can provide?

For now I would disinfect any open red areas, treat them with an appropriate antibiotic ointment (or raw honey, whichever you have on hand) and cover them (the sores). Keep an eye on his overall health, eg eating, drinking, sleeping, usual or unusual behaviors, etc. Let us know if anything has changed. Right now it looks like whatever was originally the culprit is already over. His toes though didn't survive whatever it was. If his general health is ok and it doesn't spread ( depending on the answers to some of the above questions ) then the best thing (maybe the only thing) you can do at the moment is prevent secondary infections and try to keep him as comfortable as possible until the toes finish drying out. Then they will either fall away or simply be non functional and funny looking. Hydration, comfort (as possible), quiet, and rest are probably his best friends right now.

he
Thought frostbite too until I read through the thread...
It's been asked, why was he originally brought into the house, his foot?  
Does it get "chilly" in the area he is being kept?  
When & how long has this condition been happening?  
How is he doing; eating, drinking, pooping, activity level?
he eats a lot and drinks a lot more than he used to and we brought him in because it started snowing here in ohio

Back
Top Bottom