PLEASE HELP ME my prize chicken on the line

Jun 7, 2021
Someone please help! My chicken lavender is my best 4-h chicken and there is something causing her trouble to breath. She is weezing and every now and then she is sneezing. A week ago we had another chicken die, she was weezing but not as bad. She ran infront of me and my mom, threw up and died. We thought at first it was something stuck in her throat but now with lavender sick we don’t know what it is. We are giving her a broad Spectrum upper respiratory medicine for chickens. It’s been 2 days of her on the medicine and we haven’t seen progress or digression. Her throat looks in-larged and her comb and wattles are hot to the touch. Her stool is slimy and clear. I felt her food pouch which is completely empty. We have been giving her full droppers of water loaded with electrolytes.

Someone please help! My chicken lavender is my best 4-h chicken and there is something causing her trouble to breath. She is weezing and every now and then she is sneezing. A week ago we had another chicken die, she was weezing but not as bad. She ran infront of me and my mom, threw up and died. We thought at first it was something stuck in her throat but now with lavender sick we don’t know what it is. We are giving her a broad Spectrum upper respiratory medicine for chickens. It’s been 2 days of her on the medicine and we haven’t seen progress or digression. Her throat looks in-larged and her comb and wattles are hot to the touch. Her stool is slimy and clear. I felt her food pouch which is completely empty. We have been giving her full droppers of water loaded with electrolytes.
Please post some photos of her poop and of her. A video of her actions may be helpful, upload to youtube and provide a link.

How old is she?
Does she lay eggs?

Check inside her beak for lesions, canker or white/yellow pasty material.
What does her crop feel like - is it emptying overnight?

You mention her throat looks enlarged - please get some photos of that too please.

What is the broad spectrum medication you are giving?

Can she eat/drink on her own?

Please post some photos of her poop and of her. A video of her actions may be helpful, upload to youtube and provide a link.

How old is she?
Does she lay eggs?

Check inside her beak for lesions, canker or white/yellow pasty material.
What does her crop feel like - is it emptying overnight?

You mention her throat looks enlarged - please get some photos of that too please.

What is the broad spectrum medication you are giving?

Can she eat/drink on her own?
She is 2 years old, and yes she does lay. We took her to the vet and she is on amoxycillin. She cannot eat or drink on her own so I have been giving her 5cc’s of water loaded with electrolytes every hour.

She is 2 years old, and yes she does lay. We took her to the vet and she is on amoxycillin. She cannot eat or drink on her own so I have been giving her 5cc’s of water loaded with electrolytes every hour.
Glad you were able to see the vet - did they say what's wrong with her?
She had a upper respiratory infection, it did spread to our flock but we got it under control! Thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom