please help me to choose a duck as pet

nasirjamil93

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
i wanted to buy some ducks

But don't have continuous supply of water for them but can arrange a child pool or can even made concrete pool for them after 2-3 months

I love pure white ducks

Please guide me
What breed should i buy??
Which shouldn't be much noisy and can live sometime without water

As a read on some websites that ducks can even live without water

If you like white ducks get a pekin or white runner (there are other breeds like white layers too), the males will have a raspy voice, while females have a loud quack. The concept goes for all ducks. You can have ducks without water, just make sure they have a lot of drinking water. Also you need to make sure that they get bathed at least few time a week, especially if you have babies, they need the water to get rid of excess oils they produce. Water is important when mating, without water, eggs will be unfertilized, but that is only important if want breeding females, hope that helps

thanks

pekin ducks are smaller in size than runners???
I think pekins are easier to handle

the breeding pair need much water for bathing or for drinking to ensure their fertility???

pekins are usually larger in breed, they noted for being the most popular meat for ducks compared to the skinny runner. A lot of people choose pekins because they are very friendly and great pet ducks.
Water for drinking is important for all ducks, and occasional bathing too
having a pool (small or large) is where ducks mate usually, it can also help to stimulate them. sorry for the confusion

thanks

What do u say about white cresented??? Or pekin??? or runner???

As this is my 1st experience with ducks

what would be the best option for me???

I justed wanted them as pets and also for eggs but not much

I love my Pekins. They are the best. So friendly. But again they are loud. They lay better than my runners. But runners tend to swim a bit less. In the end you need to chose what works best for your situation.

White Campbells are a good breed too. Placid, not too loud but they can be quite chatty! Very good layers to boot.

While you may get away without having a pond for them, if you have the space it's worth the effort and expense as ducks LOVE water :)

Edit - try to stay away from crested ducks as although they are cute; the crest is caused by a skull deformity that has been actively bred for - a crime imho

Last edited:
Runners can live totally without swimming in water! They can be skittish but if socialized from hatching they can be very calm. They're not that loud, either. Pekins are pure white and can also live without a pond but will need a tub for swimming and can be quite noisy.

Personally I love calls they're super sweet and adorable, but...if you're going for quiet, they ain't it.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom