Please, help me... trying get broody hen to adopt chicks

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I ALWAYS adopt my chicks during the night with a flash light so it stays dark and have done so with up to 7 day old chicks, but younger is better in order for the chicks themselves to bond to mama and be willing to follow her calls. I remove all the eggs and place all the chicks under the broody. In this manner she gets to feel them wiggling around under her and expect some chicks. I have seen a hen peck a chick to get back under her when she wasn't ready for them to come out yet the next day, while they were still learning each other's voices. I make sure food and water are nearby, since adopted chicks rarely still have their yolk sack to survive on. Ya, broody's viciously defend their nest and peck wildly at my hand. I just use one hand to lift her and shield the chicks with the hand they are in. And the next day when checking she will wildly peck at me, so I have had a few innocent chicks get the random brutal peck. But knowing what you are dealing with helps to have a little discernment.

Honestly, I wouldn't let her sit for a long time in the future as you have in the past. Next time, if you don't want her to raise chicks then you should break her the minute you see signs (research broody breakers, basically an elevated wire bottom cage). The whole time she is sitting she is losing condition. Weight decreases, and muscle tone diminishes to the point they are shaky.

Several of my hens are full size broody's and I also have never had chicks rejected. Though I HAVE lost 1 or 2 to flock dynamics.

After I get them tucked in, we stand around in the dark and listen. Usually it's silent. Then we shine the light in to make sure nobody got out and doesn't yet know how to get back under their heat source. I go out very early the next morning to make sure their are no flock bullies. And I lift her up to see everyone survived the night.

It definitely IS special!! And seeing the contentment that washes over the mama once she's settled down onto her babes. :love

Great luck! I would try again. :fl

This is so encouraging to hear, thank you. I'm hoping to see a great outcome. I just want to tell Buff, 'I'm just trying to make you a mom'.
I'm probably not going to be able to sleep tonight.

I do not let my girls hatch their own eggs so I routinely give my moms chicks I have incubated and I do not have any set time that I introduce the babies. It's been morning, afternoon and in the middle of the night. I agree with Jaeg, protecting the chicks is the most important part because your moms are attacking your hand, they don't really mean to hurt the chick itself. I introduce as many chicks at one time as I want to give that mom. I have a towel lined bowl I transport the chicks to the coop. Shield baby completely with both hands if necessary and use one to gently lift her up enough that you can slide the chick under her. I take that opportunity to remove the fake eggs she's sitting on as well when I withdraw my hand. Get the baby well under her, like under a wing or something. If it is too far in the front, she may peck at it. Give mom a sec to settle back down on top of the baby and she should start to make soothing mom sounds to it. When you hear her talking to the chick, you can place the others under her. I've never had a mom reject the chicks I gave her but I only use bantams and all of them are desperate to be moms so it makes it easier. Good luck!

Thank you for this. I was going to use the shipping box they came in to transport. Does the bowl help prevent them from getting out? Just to clarify, when my hand was out of the brooder, Buff did peck the chick directly. She wasn't just trying for my hand. So, that sign makes me worried that she just wants to sit on eggs and not adopt.
So, you think I could place one chick under at first and then add the others?

I'm so nervous. Thank you very much for your help and I'll keep you posted.

A hen will peck chicks if she thinks the chicks aren't acting as they should. When chicks hatch out the hen won't see them until they are dried out and she'd feel them moving under her, so one suddenly appearing wouldn't have been what she was expecting. Put them under her one at a time, preferably from behind, and guide it back under her if it pops out. It should want to settle where it's warm under Buffy. Wait to gauge her reaction and if she's comfortable and settled after the first one is under her put the rest under too and wait to ensure no one is going to pop out, wander off and get cold. And that Buffy is settled and clucking softly to them. Fingers crossed it will all go to plan!

You could try just before it gets really dark so you still have a bit of light. It should be dark enough in Buffy's nest. Try and get the babies right under her and try to shield them as she may take a swipe at you for disturbing her. I've only used my little bantams and they were both desperate to be mothers - I've never tried this with a big girl. One of my bantams sat for 10 weeks before I caved and got her some chicks!

You'll know the clucking I mean when she starts talking to the babies. If she can hear them before you start putting them under her she may start talking to them then. I really hope it works out for you and Buffy. So much less work for you and very satisfying for Buffy.

So, her hearing the chicks is good. Okay, I won't be afraid to let them peep inside their box before I attempt again.

You will know right away if she will adopt them from my experience. Buff should start talking to them and settle down on top of them. A momma talking to babies is very different from everyday hen sounds, it is soft and soothing. She is pecking them out of reaction mostly to you getting into her space and since she is a first time mom she is still learning. Put one under first and see what she does, but have the other handy to give her if all goes well. She may peck at it and it might look scary right at first, just get it really under there so it isn't sticking out in front. I have even left my hand with chick still in my hand under her as a sort of shield before when testing out a new mom if I was unsure of her abilities to accept. My hen settled right on top of my hand and then I withdrew and all was well.

We only stand around stand around for a couple of minutes. I've done too many adoptions.. :oops: ;) sometimes she doesn't talk to them right away. Every hen has been a different experience. And even the same hen has brought chicks out at different times. Some have taken a couple days to actually start tidbit-ting, so I have had to go do that to teach the chicks to eat. Since yours are already eating, it shouldn't be a problem. I remove the feed at night to avoid attracting rodents. Birds don't eat in the dark anyways.

We did confiscate the chicks after I saw mama peck that one. When we brought them in they were not very hungry and they were mad as heck not to be under their mama. Since they all seemed well and weren't starving I knew they had gotten to eat and she was indeed taking care of them though I didn't SEE it. We tucked them back under and all lived happily ever after.

All hens I know of will peck a chick they don't yet recognize as their own unless they are actually trying too steal them from another hen. I think that is why feeling them moving underneath first is important.

Also, I would be sure to provide either an unmedicated starter or a flock raiser, if you are currently using layer feed. It is safe for your whole flock as long as you provide oyster shell on the side for layers. However, layer has too much calcium and too little protein to be TRULY safe long term for chicks. For me it is too difficult to keep separate feeds for my mutli aged and gender flock so I stick with the 20% protein flock raiser. It has been a happy medium.

She sound pretty committed. I would actually expect success with the correct approach, which can be different for everyone. There is NO right way, EXCEPT the way that works for YOU! And even that can be very fluid and you might have to switch it up. ;)

Looking forward to a pic of the proud mama and her babies in the future! :D

You will know right away if she will adopt them from my experience. Buff should start talking to them and settle down on top of them. A momma talking to babies is very different from everyday hen sounds, it is soft and soothing. She is pecking them out of reaction mostly to you getting into her space and since she is a first time mom she is still learning. Put one under first and see what she does, but have the other handy to give her if all goes well. She may peck at it and it might look scary right at first, just get it really under there so it isn't sticking out in front. I have even left my hand with chick still in my hand under her as a sort of shield before when testing out a new mom if I was unsure of her abilities to accept. My hen settled right on top of my hand and then I withdrew and all was well.

This is wonderful description- I will do this tonight. Thank you.

We only stand around stand around for a couple of minutes. I've done too many adoptions.. :oops: ;) sometimes she doesn't talk to them right away. Every hen has been a different experience. And even the same hen has brought chicks out at different times. Some have taken a couple days to actually start tidbit-ting, so I have had to go do that to teach the chicks to eat. Since yours are already eating, it shouldn't be a problem. I remove the feed at night to avoid attracting rodents. Birds don't eat in the dark anyways.

We did confiscate the chicks after I saw mama peck that one. When we brought them in they were not very hungry and they were mad as heck not to be under their mama. Since they all seemed well and weren't starving I knew they had gotten to eat and she was indeed taking care of them though I didn't SEE it. We tucked them back under and all lived happily ever after.

All hens I know of will peck a chick they don't yet recognize as their own unless they are actually trying too steal them from another hen. I think that is why feeling them moving underneath first is important.

Also, I would be sure to provide either an unmedicated starter or a flock raiser, if you are currently using layer feed. It is safe for your whole flock as long as you provide oyster shell on the side for layers. However, layer has too much calcium and too little protein to be TRULY safe long term for chicks. For me it is too difficult to keep separate feeds for my mutli aged and gender flock so I stick with the 20% protein flock raiser. It has been a happy medium.

She sound pretty committed. I would actually expect success with the correct approach, which can be different for everyone. There is NO right way, EXCEPT the way that works for YOU! And even that can be very fluid and you might have to switch it up. ;)

Looking forward to a pic of the proud mama and her babies in the future!

Yes, chicks and Buff are on chick starter. Thank you for your perspective! You all are helping to calm me down... normally, I'm great with handling most situations with animals, but, I guess I'm extra sensitive with the little babies.
There are 9 total chicks- 8 females: 1 Cream Legbar, 1 Welsummer, 1 Lavender Orpington, 1 Buff Laced Polish, 1 Blue Cochin (which is splash, I believe), 1 Blue Splash Marans, 1 Egyptian Fayoumi (a surprise from the rare breed assortment), and 1 Black Copper Marans (I think... she's from a marans assortment and is black, so, pretty sure); and 1 male- a lavender orpington who will be our first roo.
There's the list of little babies y'all can pray for, in addition to my heart! :D lol

Will post pictures in the morning... hoping all goes well!

Wow, I love the line up! It's great to have a variety. I always highly recommend it. :love

I would do a little research about roosters since this will be your first. Confidence in the bird is often mistaken for friendliness... and friendly lap cockerels often become little demons that attack AFTER they hit their hormonal phase.

It's OK to be a little sensitive regarding babies, or anything really. It's better to be safe than sorry. And it's ALWAYS good to have support. :)

Will definitely lift y'all up! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom