Please Help! My African Goose Was Injured!!

southern_breed

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Beautiful sw florida
hit.gif
I have a 4month old male african goose who i incubated and raised. He spends time outback in our fenced in yard with our pekin ducks and his dog friend and sleeps inside at night. I let him out yesterday and went to the doctors. When i got back he wasnt doing his customary yell and dance so i went outback to check on him and noticed his beak had been hurt. It has a scratch on the side of it, dry blood but not terribly deep,and a little piece on the top scratched off. I went over him top to bottom and i cannot find anything else wrong with him but he seems to be in shock:hit He doesnt want to talk, just wants to sleep and is not drinking or eating. He is not responding to voice like he always does?? Please any help would be so appreciated as i love this goose (navago) very much...hes like my child:hit ps. we are still not sure what happend to his beak...its was not caused by another animal and the back yard is duck proof so i just cant say:(

I have been informed to mention that i brought him right inside, held him for a few hours as he slept,and he is now in his cage in the back room with the radio on softly like usual and the lights out. Hes been this way since about 5 last night. Does this sound like shock and should i just let him be? He doesnt want food or water! I feel sick!

How's he doing this morning? I would guess shock, based on the minor appearance of his injuries. Makes it sound like maybe he took a nose-dive into something. Maybe something startled him and he flapped/ran right into something, hard enough to scratch and tear his beak/bill a bit??? If he's in shock, just keeping him contained and settled, and babying him a bit should help. Offer some type of special treats to get him eating (not sure what treats are for a goose...chickens love scrambled egg). Hopefully there is no internal damage, and he will be back to normal within a few days. Oh...you can also put electrolites in his water for an extra pick-me-up...

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I just took him out back with the ducks and put him in the kiddie pool to see if he would drink. he took a few slow little sips and slowly dunked his head a few times. He stilp seems to be running in slow motion and i noticed he frequently chews like he has food in his mouth. the marks on his beak are so small and its hard to imagine he is this messed up by them but its the only mark on him. he can open his mouth wide to yawn but only calls to me quietly and not often. hes just acting like a zombie:(

Back
Top Bottom