Please Help! My African Goose Was Injured!!

southern_breed

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Beautiful sw florida
hit.gif
I have a 4month old male african goose who i incubated and raised. He spends time outback in our fenced in yard with our pekin ducks and his dog friend and sleeps inside at night. I let him out yesterday and went to the doctors. When i got back he wasnt doing his customary yell and dance so i went outback to check on him and noticed his beak had been hurt. It has a scratch on the side of it, dry blood but not terribly deep,and a little piece on the top scratched off. I went over him top to bottom and i cannot find anything else wrong with him but he seems to be in shock:hit He doesnt want to talk, just wants to sleep and is not drinking or eating. He is not responding to voice like he always does?? Please any help would be so appreciated as i love this goose (navago) very much...hes like my child:hit ps. we are still not sure what happend to his beak...its was not caused by another animal and the back yard is duck proof so i just cant say:hit

Not really much you can do unless you want to go the vet route, which most won't. I'm sure you've done a little basic first aid by now, clean it up and maybe a little antibiotic ointment. You could try a few drops of water along the side of the beak to encourage him to start drinking again; that way, no danger of drowning him. You could also try isolating him, maybe in a darkened place, to let him rest. Might just be in shock, but there might be internal injuries, too.

Good luck.

If it was caused by an animal, he probably is in shock and frightened. Time will heal that. As far as eating and drinking, I'm sure his beak is very sore and he may not want anything right now.. Offer him some of his favorite treats. Peas are always a good choice. Yogurt, cottage cheese and other soft things too. Keep him warm and quiet. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you so much for the quick replys and advice:) This websites a heaven send. I just took him out back to the kiddie pool and he took a few slow tiny sips of water. He keeps looking like hes chewing on something in his mouth but theres nothing there:( he can open his mouth wide to yawn though. The only way i can describe his behavior is zombie like. Moves slowly and doesnt say much wich is complete opposite from normal behavior. This is completly my opionion only but i feel like hes in shock. Could this really be caused by just those marks and how long can shock last? Sorry so many questions but im only experienced with dogs cats and ducks:( As of now he is in his large cage with his soft music on and plenty of fresh water mixed with pedilyte. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP! I feel helpless and bawly squawly:(

There is no way to put a time frame on shock. Giving him a place to feel safe and secure and lots of food, water and love will definately speed the process. Let's just say for example "something" grabbed him by the beak (fox, raccoon) he would have put up quite a struggle to get away. His neck, back, whole body could be sore. This could take several days to get over. He may remain quiet and slow for whatever time frame it takes. Just keep up the good work with him, he will come around. I have a duck with only 1/2 a top bill due to a deformity from birth and he does just fine. So I think his beak will be fine too.

I think i may have narrowed it down...we have a large fenced in back yard with a horse gate leading to the neighbors back yard. The ducks loved going through the hoarse gate so we just recently covered it with chicken wire. i think my goose may have tried to stick his head through the edge of the hoarse gate and got his beak stuck in/on the chicken wire and sliced himself up trying to pull his head out. Thanks to your post,i think your absouloutley right,everything on him is probably sore from struggling to get his big ol head out! i will continue to baby him and will fix the chicken wire and keep close eye on my nosey guy=) thank you all so much=)

Back
Top Bottom