Please help my hen has an egg outside her body but trapped by membrane

loopipi

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Forest Lake
9 month old Americana has an egg hanging from sack outside her body. How do I get it to come out right? Do I push it back in? I tried but, it just comes out the same way.. Trapped.. Do I break the egg? Help she is sufffering. I have her in a warm bath now.
Kristi

sounds like she's prolapsed. let her sit in the warm bath until she is relax and gently coax the egg out of the membrane. if it resists too much put her back int he warm water. you can try massaging the membrane with almond/olive oil to soften it and help the egg come out. if the egg comes out of the membrane but the membrane is still out you can gently try to put it back inside, but it may not work. give her some time if the membrane doesn't go back in right after the egg is out will help, there's always the possibility it may go back in on its own. good luck!

edited to clarify

Last edited:
The warm bath should be a great help.

You could try personal lubricant (such as KY Jelly or Astroglide) around the edges of the skin touching the egg to help it slide.

But I think you'd be just fine breaking the egg because she shouldn't have problems with pieces left inside. You could soak her in a warm bath after breaking the egg, also, to possibly help loosen & flush any remaining fragments.

I just used the "Search" feature on here to look up "hen prolapsed" and here is a page of posts that may offer some additional help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=1871985808

Last edited:
Ok but, I don't see where the hole is that the egg is suppose to come out of... Her hole egg is out of her body. I can push the egg bavpck in and rotate the egg when it is out of her. It kind of looks like there is a hole or vent to the left.. Shall I massage that part or the egg part.. Thank you with all my heart!

Chickens have just one opening coming out of their bodies, but not far inside the opening it does separate into two different channels--one for poop & one for reproduction/eggs. I don't know which way you need to angle when you push the membrane back in but hopefully one of the threads listed when you click the link in my first post can give info on which. Good luck
smile.png

Last edited:
Here is a link to a thread from someone whose hen experienced the same type of prolapse. I don't think it's a good idea to break the egg. Doing so can cause infection unless you are able to clean all of the egg or shell out of the egg sack, or a sharp edge of the shell can tear the sack. Try repositioning the egg inside the "sack" until you find the opening in the sack, then you can push the egg out of the sack. Once the egg is out, you must push the prolapse back in, using honey as described in the attached thread. Good luck and let us know how things turn out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=521897

Hi,
thank you all for your support... o.k. here is what happened... I could not get the egg out.. no matter how long my fingers where.. not by repositioning.. nothing.. The poor hen was straining ... panting.. and suffering. I could not search anymore for the way out.. so I opted for a very risky operation.. I let the egg come out.. in the prolapsed position (once again)... took a razor blade and had to cut the egg out.... oh how I hope I did the right thing.. The poor hen.. traumatized .. wet and in a towel did nothing as I cut a three inch incision in her... I got the egg out.. I put honey on the wound.. and everywhere.. I tried to push everything in.. It was very "out there".. after that. I put her in a dog kennel on a perch and gave her by eye dropper a mixture of water/antibiotic/vitamins.. She drank. I checked on her.. She is kinda traumatized.. sitting on the perch. She looks sad and I am worried. While the wound did not bleed much during the incision or while I was pushing all the flesh back in her.. I note now that she is bleeding from her vent. I do not want to touch her much.. I just gave her another dose of water.. I am praying she makes it til tomorrow. She is inside the house. She is warm( we live in MN) .. She is drying out from the bath.. If she makes it til tomorrow, I will most likely try to put her in the garage under a heat lamp - in a plastic type dog kennel - inside another wire kennel - where she can see other chickens. She does not like to be confined. She is a free spirit. I hope she does not have another egg behind the one I took out. It would most likely be a bad..... bad thing. I am keeping the kennel dark so to inhibit the urge to produce another egg. I am also feeding her mostly corn because I only have layer feed available today. Tomorrow if she is better I will go get another kind of food like ??? chick feed??? not sure.. advice please! So her name is Josefina.. La Gallina - puso un huevo , en la Cocina.. puso uno, puso dos, puso tres, puso cuarto, puso cinco, puso seis... It means Josefina La Gallina lays an egg in the Kitchen. She lays one, she lays two, three, four, five six... ... and I hope that she lives to lay 100's... My heart is breaking and hoping that I did the best for her. Please pray for my sweet Josefina tonight if you think of her. Thank you all for your quick advice. I will update you soon!

Back
Top Bottom