Katye Fredieu

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2017
Taylorsville, NC
About 5 days ago, we discovered one of our 4 month old EE's had sour crop. Here's how we handled it:

Day 1: Isolation from flock. No food/water for 12 hours. Massaged crop (It was the size of a tennis ball and water balloon like).
Day 2: Water with apple cider vinegar, no food. Emptied crop via regurgitation.
Day 3: Water with apple cider. Emptied crop via regurgitation. Hen has watery and stinky explosive diarrhea. Gave some chicken feed, dried mealworms and yogurt. Hen was eating a bit.
Day 4: Crop is much smaller, about the size of a golf ball. Gave water with a probiotic and chicken feed. Did not empty crop, just massaged it.
Day 5: Crop is completely clear (yay!). However, she's still very lethargic and has trouble standing/walking. She's collapsing and sleeping and has no energy to do anything. She doesn't seem to be eating or drinking.

What can I do? I thought she would start to feel more energy and back to herself once the crop was clear, but she seems to still be sick. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it is or what I can do to help her? I don't want to lose her!

Have you read this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/
Sometimes crop problems are caused by issues farther down the digestive tract. It could be parasites (have you ever wormed her?), or it could be disease or infection, or it could be an impaction or partial impaction.
I would keep her isolated for the time being. You say her crop is clear now, but is she eating and the crop goes down normally on it's own now, or is it empty because she's not really eating? Have her droppings returned to normal? If you have never wormed, see if you have a vet that will do a fecal float test for you to see if parasites are an issue.
If you go through the article above it may help to narrow it down. Crop issues can be frustrating, so I wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom