Please Help -- New Home

mamachicken090900

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2018
Hello. If you look at a previous thread I wrote, I posted about a chick named Nova who had slipped tendon. I took her in for surgery and the tendon slipped out of it's place again since she was hatched with it instead of aquiring it like I thought she had.
Nova is around three months old. She isn't as big as her brothers and sisters, but she's still growing just fine.
Her legs don't work well. One has the slipped tendon and the other can't support her weight. I don't want to put her down. She has so much life and fight in her. But I also can't take care of her. We don't have time to give her the attention she needs and requires. I'm willing to drive up to 5 hours to give her to someone who can give her the life she deserves and fights for. I only want what's best for her. I live in MN, please message me if you're interested.
I'm always looking for advice as well.
Thank you

Hello. If you look at a previous thread I wrote, I posted about a chick named Nova who had slipped tendon. I took her in for surgery and the tendon slipped out of it's place again since she was hatched with it instead of aquiring it like I thought she had.
Nova is around three months old. She isn't as big as her brothers and sisters, but she's still growing just fine.
Her legs don't work well. One has the slipped tendon and the other can't support her weight. I don't want to put her down. She has so much life and fight in her. But I also can't take care of her. We don't have time to give her the attention she needs and requires. I'm willing to drive up to 5 hours to give her to someone who can give her the life she deserves and fights for. I only want what's best for her. I live in MN, please message me if you're interested.
I'm always looking for advice as well.
Thank you
I've decided to put Nova down.

I only want what's best for her.
Hi there. :frow

Sorry you have gone through this, sounds like you are trying really hard for this little one. :hugs

I hate be the one who says it... but having the vet euthanize her WOULD be the MOST humane thing to do in my experience. These kinds of things don't get better they only get worse with weight and age... I know this the HARD way. :(

We are all going to die. If we are lucky we won't suffer in pain every day until then. I recently had a young cockerel who I had to put down after he suffered with an eye injury I couldn't help for more than a month. I truly failed him... by not making the difficult decision SOONER. It hurt to know I ALLOWED it to continue, because I felt like he deserved a good life. :hit

Part of the core of being a chicken is being able to scratch around in the dirt. This bird will never be able to do that or even dirt bath. To me it will be lacking the essential to a "happy" chicken life.

For that little bird, she won't know if her life was 3 months or 3 years, it's all the same. Make the best life you can and when you can't any longer PLEASE end the suffering QUICKLY. Every single bird here including the cockerels we will be eating live happily ever after... They have a good life and one bad moment that is over so fast they never experience anything other than the standard fear of being caught. Once they are caught, they are calm and treated gently and respectfully with care. Knowing something dies for us to eat doesn't make it heartless. Letting it suffer needlessly because I can't face the harsh truth that everything dies, that would be heartless. :hmm But I'm not pointing the finger at you or insinuating anything! I'm just trying to share words of comfort and wisdom. :hugs

This is one of the hardest parts of chicken keeping. :barnie Your dedication is clear! :highfive: When we've done everything we can... that really is about all we can do. Hang in there. Hopefully you will find her a home soon, or make that very tough but sometimes necessary decision. :fl

Back
Top Bottom