Please Help - Possible Cow Abuse

cnol

Songster
Oct 19, 2018
Please help, I don't know what to do here. There is a cow in her field that borders our property. The cow is alone and has been alone for a few years (which I read is not right). It looks like she has a hernia out her anus..... At first I thought perhaps birthing but nope, she's had this for at least 2 weeks. You can see it from a distance even because it is so bright red, like a red ball sticking out her backside.... The neighbor hardly comes back to check on her from what I see.

If we call the police or whomever to report anonymously it the neighbors WILL know it's us because there is no one else that can see the cow. We live rural with few very few houses around. They are already iffy people I can see them harassing us, etc.

Please help, I don't know what to do here. There is a cow in her field that borders our property. The cow is alone and has been alone for a few years (which I read is not right). It looks like she has a hernia out her anus..... At first I thought perhaps birthing but nope, she's had this for at least 2 weeks. You can see it from a distance even because it is so bright red, like a red ball sticking out her backside.... The neighbor hardly comes back to check on her from what I see.

If we call the police or whomever to report anonymously it the neighbors WILL know it's us because there is no one else that can see the cow. We live rural with few very few houses around. They are already iffy people I can see them harassing us, etc.
That sounds like a rectal prolapse, and requires treatment. While I know what I would do, only you can decide if doing the right thing is important enough to you

Can you just call/talk to the neighbor and mention that you are a bit concerned about his cow and weren't sure if he knew of her condition since he doesn't come around much? It might be worth starting there, he could be clueless about her condition. Or he could know and she could be receiving treatment of some sort already.

That's a tough situation. I think I would try to get as close as possible (on either side of the fence) and take a few good pics to send to a vet. It sounds like you don't want to get involved with the owners in general, but getting involved over something that isn't a big deal - OR that they are already treating might be the worst outcome. Get an idea from a vet of what you're dealing with before you tread any closer to getting into a dispute with neighbors.
If the vet then says that it is a big deal or severe, then tell them that your vet friend happened to see the cow from your property and thought that they should know it is a deadly illness.

Can you just call/talk to the neighbor and mention that you are a bit concerned about his cow and weren't sure if he knew of her condition since he doesn't come around much? It might be worth starting there, he could be clueless about her condition. Or he could know and she could be receiving treatment of some sort already.
Yes, why didn't I think of this? I just got so emotional for a minute seeing her out the window that I rushed in to post this....... I had forgotten about it until now. Ugh

Yes, why didn't I think of this? I just got so emotional for a minute seeing her out the window that I rushed in to post this....... I had forgotten about it until now. Ugh

It's hard to see animals that are suffering. And it's hard to say how much your neighbor is actually around. I have one neighbor I could have sworn was a second homeowner because I never saw him, turns out he lives there full time and we just have very different schedules. I'm not saying it's for sure not neglect, but perhaps starting with a non-accusatory conversation with the neighbor is a better first step than the police. Good luck!

Yes, talk to the owner first. I have seen too many situations where a well meaning passerby misread the situation and got the innocent owner into trouble to recommend going to the authorities as a reflexive measure. With livestock... not everything is always as it seems. But I wouldn't just ignore it either.

Why don't you just talk to the neighbor?
If it's been like this for 2 weeks, I think I would have already knocked on the door and asked the neighbor about it. They may not even be aware of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom