Please help! Rooster attacking hen(s)

I don't often advise anyone to cull members of their flock without trying to correct behavior, but in this case, cull immediately. No, he was NOT showing normal cock/cockerel/rooster behavior. Yes, inexperienced cockerels are a bit rough until they learn, that's normal, but the majority will not say their roosters were as abusive as yours.

Wow, I've seen roosters "peck down" hens that refuse mating but that stops once he's made the point clear. I couldn't allow one that took it as far as yours did to remain with my girls no matter his age or the season. Totally your call but that is unacceptable in my opinion. Good luck, and I'm sorry about your little hen getting harmed.

I guess what's holding me back is selfish reasoning.....he's really pretty. That's about it. But, there are other pretty roosters out there that will be more gentle I'm sure. Also, I just don't like killing things. I'll have it done, just wanted to explore my options.
There are a lot of pretty roosters out there that won't peck out a hen's eye. I would not keep one that vicious with the hens. A good rooster's instinct will lead him to keep a watch for predators, show the hens where he finds treats, and generally be a good flock master. Really - there are roosters that do that all on their own. I've had them. A rooster like yours would be in my freezer in short order. He would not be in with my hens at this point.

Get rid of the rooster. I agree with some op you wont be able to change him now. He doesnt deserve those lovely girls and they dont deserve to get their eyes pecked out. Whats holding you back.

I guess what's holding me back is selfish reasoning.....he's really pretty. That's about it. But, there are other pretty roosters out there that will be more gentle I'm sure. Also, I just don't like killing things. I'll have it done, just wanted to explore my options.

Thank you ALL for your thoughtful advice, wisdom, and kindness! We have permanently eliminated the abusive rooster. My hen only has one eye, but she is recovering quickly. What I have learned from this is that I need to educate myself on roosters and their behavior. Thank you!!!

I am so very sorry that it came this, and I am sorry that your hens have been injured. It really is hard to find information about roosters, but, there is one here on BYC that you may like to read.

Here is the link.
www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-ever-misunderstood-rooster.72932/

I don't often advise anyone to cull members of their flock without trying to correct behavior, but in this case, cull immediately. No, he was NOT showing normal cock/cockerel/rooster behavior. Yes, inexperienced cockerels are a bit rough until they learn, that's normal, but the majority will not say their roosters were as abusive as yours.

He has been culled. Yeah, forcibly removing the eyeball of one of his hens is a bit more than rough isn't it? It's just so weird, everyone was getting along fine three days ago...... Thank you for your response and advice, it is appreciated :)

Thanks for the article! But now I feel somewhat guilty for culling him...lol. I agree that I need to educate myself on roosters if I want to have one in the future.
Do not feel guilty. It needed to be done. There is nothing wrong with culling (although that does not always equal "killing" - "culling" just means to remove from the flock or herd whether through butchering, selling or giving away). That bird would have been in my freezer ASAP after beating up your hen that way. You are the flock keeper, and you are the only one who can decide how much you want to put up with before removing such a bird from the flock, but I think you did the right thing. Why subject your hens to more abuse than necessary while trying to "train" him? I haven't read the article, but think I will now to see what made you feel guilty...

Agreed, @austintexasredhead . Culling that cockerel was the only logical decision to make. There would be no purpose in allowing such a deranged individual to remain part of the flock. You would not ever want to let him play in the gene pool. And good looks can only get a guy so far. Evil is still evil, no matter how nicely it is packaged.

I have separated rooster for a year or more while they mature. As long as they can be seen daily through a fence I have had no problems with them integrating back into the flock. The rooster in my avatar and his brother were penned separately for 2 years. Now they are both free and for the most part are great rooster.

I would question whether maturity will help your rooster. I have had a few that were aggressive towards the hens and have culled all of them. It could be they are just stupid or it could be they are over eager and go a bit over board in their correction and leadership, and they will mellow with age. Time will tell if you are interested in trying to keep him.

Back
Top Bottom