Please help sick chickens!!!!

You can use a large cardboard box, bathtub, or large plastic Tote for a few days as a brooder. Many feed stores use the 50 gallon metal stock tanks, with a heat lumped clamped. I bought some play wood and built a brooder 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet tall. After a week, the top needs to be covered with screen wire or 1/2 hardware cloth screen because they will learn to jump out. You can make a wound frame for the screen wire.

You need bedding, pine shavings, or you can use layers of paper towel for a week or so. A heat lamp should be secured carefully 18-24 inches from the top of heads. Have one end of the brooder at the warmer temperature under the heat lamp. The other end can be a bit cooler.

Dip your chicks’ beak into the food and water. Chick starter is what to feed. Do some reading on how to raise chicks. They will all die if you don’t heat them.

Did you check to see if they have poop stuck to their bottoms sometimes it can dry and form a block on the chickens rear end ultimately making it impossible for the chick to rid it's self of waste. Also mishandling of chicks by post and delivery can do quite a number on new babies if they are exposed to cold temperatures or are in mail too long without food or water past the absorbed egg yolk time. Im so sorry your going through this. Sucks when the lil peeps are sick

My heart is pumping just reading this-- those poor babies are soo cold.. and need proper care immediately. If you can't get a source of heat today, maybe place them in the bathroom..turn on the hot water and steam heat the room..until you can get a safe and proper heat source.🥹
I pray they will be ok!!

I was going to suggest a heating pad if you have one. It does need to be one that doesn't have an auto shut off since you need continuous heat, but you could just keep up with the auto shut off and reset every hour or so in a pinch.

I've used Mama Heating pad caves outside for week old chicks when temps were in the 20s at night and the chicks did very well. (They also had wind/weather protection, deep bedding under the cave and layers of a few old towels covering the "cave" to help keep heat in), but Inside a house, a heating pad will work very well.

Hope you can find a way to get the babies more comfy and they start to do better, I'm sorry that you lost some.

Back
Top Bottom