Please Help, Sickly Chickens

Purpleroan

Hatching
Nov 27, 2020
Today I picked up 6 pullets from a poultry supply store. It wasn’t ideal but I couldn’t find any local breeders this time of year. Upon inspecting them at home, I found poultry lice all over them and at least one of them was sneezing every minute or two.

I’ve heard all chickens have a few lice, but when is it considered an infestation, and should I be concerned about the sneezes? They’re coming from a few different birds. One of them in particular though is also making gurgling sounds whenever she breathes in. Two of them are also missing all the feathers under their wings.

I am not happy with the store and honestly feel bad sending them back because of the conditions they were in, but I don’t have the time or money to START with sickly chickens. Any advice at all? Keeping them, returning them, treating their ailments, disinfecting the coop if I get different birds? It’s causing me a lot of anxiety. Thanks in advance.

Today I picked up 6 pullets from a poultry supply store. It wasn’t ideal but I couldn’t find any local breeders this time of year. Upon inspecting them at home, I found poultry lice all over them and at least one of them was sneezing every minute or two.

I’ve heard all chickens have a few lice, but when is it considered an infestation, and should I be concerned about the sneezes? They’re coming from a few different birds. One of them in particular though is also making gurgling sounds whenever she breathes in. Two of them are also missing all the feathers under their wings.

I am not happy with the store and honestly feel bad sending them back because of the conditions they were in, but I don’t have the time or money to START with sickly chickens. Any advice at all? Keeping them, returning them, treating their ailments, disinfecting the coop if I get different birds? It’s causing me a lot of anxiety. Thanks in advance.
I am not an expert, but what I am sure of is that return them before you get too attached.

If treating them is an option,keeping your budget and time in check, then that's an option too.
I am sorry i wasn't of any help.
Best of luck!!

1606528678036.jpg

Back
Top Bottom