PLEASE HELP SOMETHING HORRIBLE HAPPENED TO MY QUAIL

sscaria

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
my quail has died. i recently bought 16. all were fine except one of them. She was in so much pain she couldn't walk. she was losing feathers from other quails trampling her. she couldn't even get food or water from her pain. I flipped her over and she had some bumble foot. along with that there was a HUGE black mass that had accumulated on her ankle. it was disgusting. not a dirt/poop ball. i set her down and after some time i came back to clean up her foot. i didn't realize it at the time but she was bleeding. when i set her down, a massive pool of blood gathered immediately. i rushed down with her, and i put her down again. the black mass had came off. apparently the mass came off but not fully and she was bleeding. now it had fully come off. there was a deep hole. as stupid as i am, i never put pressure on the foot. i wish i did. she had bled to death. i am mourning her loss. she was in pain for so long, her previous owners didn't care. even though i cant bring her back from the dead, i do have one request from fellow farmers- please help me identify what that black mass was.

P.S. I didn't cause the death. I literally bought her the same day she died. Imagine all of the pain she was in :( and only a month old.
description:

black/dark purple mass around the size of her head (perhaps even bigger) on the ankle
(also had bumble foot)
swollen foot was EXTREMELY hot. like putting your hand under a heat lamp

i don't have any pictures. but please help me identify what it was.

Without being able to see it, one can only guess, but I’m thinking it may have been a hematoma (a blood pooling) and it burst.
It could have resulted from a broken blood vessel from an injury or an infection.
:( but do hematoma's get that large? I've searched up hematoma, but they look more flat. this one was bulging. It wasn't spread out, it was a literal black ball. Also, nothing popped- it kinda just ripped off or something. and the ball came off clean. a literal ball. might've been filled with hardened dried blood or something. or maybe it just burst at the base, idk. but thank you for responding. I do like the guess. I'll write that one down and see which response has it the closest. thank you so much.

:( but do hematoma's get that large? I've searched up hematoma, but they look more flat. this one was bulging. It wasn't spread out, it was a literal black ball. Also, nothing popped- it kinda just ripped off or something. and the ball came off clean. a literal ball. might've been filled with hardened dried blood or something. or maybe it just burst at the base, idk. but thank you for responding. I do like the guess. I'll write that one down and see which response has it the closest. thank you so much.
It could get large if it was bleeding from a major vessel. You didn’t say if the ball was the chicken’s skin, or a scab- like thing that formed over the skin.

It could get large if it was bleeding from a major vessel. You didn’t say if the ball was the chicken’s skin, or a scab- like thing that formed over the skin.
oh, ok. I'm not sure what it exactly is though. but thank you.

could someone have pecked into it? once we had bought 2 leghorns from some farm and they ended up being cannibals, eating our roosters blood feathers and then as we were taking them back to the farm, one pecked a very large deep hole into the other

they could have been pecking at the quails bumble foot and ended up hitting a blood vessel. Did you notice any blood on the others around their face/beak?

Last edited:
Could someone have pecked into it? Once we had bought 2 leghorns from some farm and they ended up being cannibals, eating our roosters blood feathers and then as we were taking them back to the farm, one pecked a very large deep hole into the other.

They could have been pecking at the quails bumble foot and ended up hitting a blood vessel. Did you notice any blood on the others around their face/beak?
oh god what the heck that's horrible and weird ;-;

No- not from the ones we got. I wasn't allowed to see their living environment, only my dad, so he was the only one to go. He totally wont remember anything like that. They lived in a professional 'cage' thingie according to my dad. its one of those shelve like thingies that barely high so that they can walk but not fly. not sure about anything else.

oh god what the heck that's horrible and weird ;-;

No- not from the ones we got. I wasn't allowed to see their living environment, only my dad, so he was the only one to go. He totally wont remember anything like that. They lived in a professional 'cage' thingie according to my dad. its one of those shelve like thingies that barely high so that they can walk but not fly. not sure about anything else.
oh- welll I have no idea then. some "professional" seeming places can be packed with problems honestly. i've made so many mistakes buying from these places.

my only other idea is that something happened to its foot, either with pecking, stepping on something sharp, a bite from something bad, ripping its foot open on something or the bumblefoot. i don't really know what bumblefoot is but it could have caused the problem. maybe it ripped off and broke some blood vessel/vein (idk) and then blood started clotting? and when the quail would move, the clot would move around, making it bleed more around the edges. then the outside stuff would dry/harden and more would keep being made? that's the only reason i would think it could be round

do you have any pictures?

oh- welll I have no idea then. some "professional" seeming places can be packed with problems honestly. i've made so many mistakes buying from these places.

my only other idea is that something happened to its foot, either with pecking, stepping on something sharp, a bite from something bad, ripping its foot open on something or the bumblefoot. i don't really know what bumblefoot is but it could have caused the problem. maybe it ripped off and broke some blood vessel/vein (idk) and then blood started clotting? and when the quail would move, the clot would move around, making it bleed more around the edges. then the outside stuff would dry/harden and more would keep being made? that's the only reason i would think it could be round

do you have any pictures?
Actually the bumble foot idea was actually pretty good! Maybe some small sharp piece of wood entered!! Sadly, I do not have any pictures :(

Back
Top Bottom