PLEASE HELP! WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
PLEASE HELP! A week ago Friday, my favorite hen and sweetest hen had a soft shelled egg break. It was a few days before she showed signs and by that time the vet explained that she couldn’t syringe it out since it had hardened. The hardened yolk had blocked her airways and even built up in her intestines, although she gradually was able to unblock that and had been pooping. This morning I found her in the nesting box I had provided her and I didn’t think anything was abnormal because she had been in that box a few times within the week. But when I went in an hour later I found a soft shelled egg shell with yolk in her poop. I was really scared that it might be another soft shelled egg broken inside her, but I found that to be very strange- Why would the nest egg she layer since that soft shelled egg be ANOTHER soft shelled egg? Could this be the remains of the last egg coming out? The yolk doesn’t seem hardened though. I’m Very worried I’m so scared and upset- could this be because I missed her medicine a couple days ago? Or is it just something else? Please help me!

Laying shell-less eggs can be due to several possible causes. The first could be calcium deficiency, if she is not getting a layer type feed or getting crushed oyster shell to take freely. Second, a shell gland problem in her oviduct might be the reason. That could be due to disease, infection, or injury. Third, stress can be a cause. Past infection with infectious bronchitis virus in the flock can cause several different reproductive disorders.

I would give some human calcium or Tums 1/2 tablet given orally or in a small amount of food daily for several days. If that is not affective, the best thing to happen would be for her to stop laying altogether. Some spend a lot of miney on spaying or getting hormone implants to stop laying. Having a shell-less egg tends to make hens feel poorly and weak. Hopefully, you can help her shells become harder.

Laying shell-less eggs can be due to several possible causes. The first could be calcium deficiency, if she is not getting a layer type feed or getting crushed oyster shell to take freely. Second, a shell gland problem in her oviduct might be the reason. That could be due to disease, infection, or injury. Third, stress can be a cause. Past infection with infectious bronchitis virus in the flock can cause several different reproductive disorders.

I would give some human calcium or Tums 1/2 tablet given orally or in a small amount of food daily for several days. If that is not affective, the best thing to happen would be for her to stop laying altogether. Some spend a lot of miney on spaying or getting hormone implants to stop laying. Having a shell-less egg tends to make hens feel poorly and weak. Hopefully, you can help her shells become harder.
I thought about both hormones and ”spaying” however the closest place to get both is really far

Back
Top Bottom