Egg laying issue.

jennaveewhit

Chirping
May 15, 2022
Please help
Last night my barred rock was in the nesting box when it was time to roost. I lifted her from the box and their was a full egg yolk/white and a piece of shell but no other shell. Today she is in the nesting box and won’t leave. I’m wondering if the shell is still inside her vent. When I checked on her she made a big cecal poop and no shell came out. What should I do? Is this a problem or should I leave her be in the box?

Is she getting up to drink?

What have you been feeding her?
How old is she?

She may have another egg needing to come out. It's also possible some of the previous egg remains, but if you saw a whole egg without a broken yolk, likely the first egg all made it out.

Give her a calcium tablet, minimum 530mg, to help her with contractions, and this will help get the next egg out, as well as any remains of the first egg.

Please help
Last night my barred rock was in the nesting box when it was time to roost. I lifted her from the box and their was a full egg yolk/white and a piece of shell but no other shell. Today she is in the nesting box and won’t leave. I’m wondering if the shell is still inside her vent. When I checked on her she made a big cecal poop and no shell came out. What should I do? Is this a problem or should I leave her be in the box?
I guess it would be hard to say, because someone may have been the box before her, she could’ve broken the egg by stepping on it, etc.

You would just need to keep an eye on her and watch for her next egg. How many girls do you have in your flock?

Never mind with this question saw your other thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hink-necroscopy-attempt.1590842/post-27031928

At this point, if she has been eating like your last death, there isn't much you can do but try to offer her some calcium.
I have completely changed how I feed them. They only get the natureWise chick starter grower(because of the 10wk olds in the coop now) and water. No treats at all. Things have been looking up for laying and they now are giving 3-4eggs daily witb 5 laying hens.

She may have another egg needing to come out. It's also possible some of the previous egg remains, but if you saw a whole egg without a broken yolk, likely the first egg all made it out.

Give her a calcium tablet, minimum 530mg, to help her with contractions, and this will help get the next egg out, as well as any remains of the first egg.
I will do exactly what you said by giving calcium tablet to help. Thank you for your help.

I guess it would be hard to say, because someone may have been the box before her, she could’ve broken the egg by stepping on it, etc.

You would just need to keep an eye on her and watch for her next egg. How many girls do you have in your flock?
5 hens they are just over a year old and 6 10week old pullets. It’s cool to see them getting used to each other more and more each day.

Back
Top Bottom