Should I start an antibiotic?

alinas2010

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
I just found a soft shell hanging out of my hen’s vent. It appears she had been pooping egg yolk when I checked on them this evening before bed and sure enough there was a soft shell sticking out. I am confident we got it all out in one piece. I have aquamox on hand, should I start her on some incase? What is dosing if yes? I plan on giving her calcium citrate plus d3, too for a few days, too.

They’re on a mix of layer and grower feed since most are in molts right now and not laying. But now I want to switch back to just layer feed and cut out treats after seeing this.

It is reasonable to use amoxicillin when there have been eggs breaking inside, to help prevent egg yolk peritonitis or salpingitis down the road. Amoxicillin dosage is 250 mg twice a day for 7-10 days for a 5 pound chicken. Calcium dosage for a 5 pound chicken would be around 600mg daily. Do not use the eggs for a few weeks after the amoxicillin.

It is reasonable to use amoxicillin when there have been eggs breaking inside, to help prevent egg yolk peritonitis or salpingitis down the road. Amoxicillin dosage is 250 mg twice a day for 7-10 days for a 5 pound chicken. Calcium dosage for a 5 pound chicken would be around 600mg daily. Do not use the eggs for a few weeks after the amoxicillin.
Thank you, you are always so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom