PLEASE HELP WHATS WRONG WITH MY ROOSTER?! is he suffering??

Roxyknowles18

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2018
San Diego county
Okay so I have multiple roosters and they don't usually get into a lot of fights or anything ( we have acres of land for them to Rome) and yesterday I found one of them in terrible condition and I don't know what's wrong with him if he got into a fight or something and I need help. He can't really lift his neck and one of his eyes is in bad condition. He is also standing very odd. It's been a day and he's still alive. I help him drink water and he eats a little but I have no idea what to do or what's wrong with him.

I'm leaning toward a fight. He has what looks like peck marks on his comb and wattles. And you saying one of his eyes is black makes me think his pupil is enlarged, which could be caused by a head injury. Its so hard to say without knowing more. Id keep him separate, give him some Nutri Drench, electrolyte water and wet down food. Just kinda baby him thru unless you can find more info or injury.

Greetings Roxyknowles18,

I am not a vet, just a chicken keeper like you. But, I have raised 8 roosters over the years. Had one with an eye injury, also.

Your rooster appears to have been beaten up not once, but many times. His cornea appears to be damaged, this is why his eye looks strange and dark. He is exhausted, and is suffering from shock.
  • His eye needs to be attended to. An ophthalmic, triple antibiotic or Terramycin ointment (purchase at a feed/farm store) should be applied to the lower lid, twice a day for two weeks. When he blinks or closes his eye the ointment will slide over the eyeball evenly, to prevent infection.
  • If it is cold where you live, he will benefit from a warm place to sleep. Keep him out of drafts.
  • A good supportive diet of meat protein, cooked grains, diced fruit, fresh or cooked vegies and dry or moist feed. He will need this diet till he regains his strength.
  • If you have some poultry vitamins, administer some. Also some electrolytes in his water for a day.
  • Re-examine him for any puncture wounds, tomorrow. Check the back of his neck, chest, and between his wings. You may see yellow, green or purple skin, this is bruising, from being flogged.
  • You will also have to watch for secondary infection, as his immune system is weakened in response to the shock. In fact, he may already be ill, and this weakness may have prompted the attacks. So, be prepared to administer an oral antibiotic. Respiratory illness is common this time of year, and roosters do hide their illness very well. You mentioned hearing a noise when he drinks.
  • Observe his eating and water intake, his pooping, too. If these things are normal, and there is no other illness, he should recover, with your care.
You may not be able to return him to the flock, if the other rooster doesn't want him there. Also, if he is away from the flock for more than a day he will not be welcomed back by the other rooster. When you have multiple roosters, there is always a possibility that the relationships will suddenly change. Roosters that were calm together, can start fighting, or one can do all the fighting, while the other just takes the beating. :confused:

Of course, these are my assumptions based on your details and the photos of your rooster, along with my rooster experiences. I could be wrong...so please consider the advice that other members provide, as well.

These are my thoughts on your rooster's situation, I hope they are helpful.

God Bless and peace to you and your dear rooster. :)

Sorry that your boy is not feeling well!

Check to see if he has any puncture wounds on his body. If not then it is likely illness or even poison. Poisoned rats and mice can make them sick if they eat them or the bait.

He should be isolated in either a dog kennel or separate pen.

Now that I think about it he could have gotten into some rat poisoning, because he is also very thirsty. is there any resolution, or do I just keep him comfortable??
It depends on the type of rat poison. You need to check to see which one it is. The anti coagulant ones has a treatment. The Vit. D overdose does not. For the ones that do not have an anti dote you have to hope he did not eat too much of it. Same protocol though--separation, food and lots of water

Get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench, and give him 3 ml daily into his beak or mixed into a small treat, such as scrambled egg mixed with a tsp of plain yogurt. He looks to have wry neck from his injuries, and the black scabs are dried blood from the fight. The vitamin E and selenium in the vitamins may help.
I would follow previous advice about separating and treating him. Just realize that roosters will fight, and even though I love them, I cannot keep more than one or two in my flock, or someone will be hurt.

God love the poor guy. What is his diet? When I see this posture I'm thinking wry neck caused by poor nutrition. It does appear he's been in a good scrap with another rooster and lost. If he's still feeling feisty give him a warm bath, rinse well and blow dry him. Though if he is weak don't bathe him but give him a good exam to check for more serious wounds.

Also you have to consider viral and bacterial infections that can cause this, Mareks disease is one to think of. Most people cull if they suspect Mareks while others nurse the patient until he/she improves or dies.

There many things that can cause what you see in this rooster. Veterinary care is always an option but some people can't afford a visit to a vet. In that case, top notch nursing care is the thing to do.

Isolate the rooster, put him on a good diet, and see how he does.

Back
Top Bottom