1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help with breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by msj889, Dec 9, 2012.

1. msj889

msj889 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    I am new to chickens and was given these by an old man down the street. He dropped them off so I was never able to see what he had and he told me he had no idea what breed they are. Some of them have slightly feathered legs. Thank you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Look like barnyard mixes and I see at least 5 cockerels in the group

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the 4 very multi colored ones are boys

4. msj889

msj889 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks, any ideas on what kind of mix they could be?

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    theres 4 cockerels and 5 pullets. as for what mix they are there is no telling unless you know what breeds are on the property were these chicks were conceived

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They look to be true barnyard mix. It's fairly easy to guess a mix when both parents are pure bred birds, but when the parents are mixed, identifying the offspring is all but impossible. We can make some guesses, like there is production red in there somewhere, and due to the white earlobes I'd say maybe leghorn, and the featherd legs who knows. That light amount of feathering means the feathered leg parent was at least 2 generations back. Overall, the pullets look like they should be decent layers. The cockerels look to be a little light bodied for good table birds, but that could change with age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by