Please help with Metacam 1.5mg dosage for my serama hen with a prolapse

hebe5

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2016
UK
Hello there, please could I have some help?

Does anyone know the correct dosage for a hen that weighs 345 grams? I already have the Metacam for another hen who had a prolapse (which worked) but that hen was much lighter?

Which Metacam do you have?
Can you post a picture of the box?
There are different strengths of it.

Which Metacam do you have?
Can you post a picture of the box?
There are different strengths of it.
It's the dog one. 1.5mg. I've given her the dose that I was given for my other hen and pushed the prolapse in and she did then keep it in. She kept the prolapse in for most of the day after and then towards evening today it was out again and covered in poop. I've bathed her and got as much of the poop off as I could but impossible to get it all off. I've given her some more Metacam and pushed it back in. Just hope I'm doing the right thing

It's the dog one. 1.5mg. I've given her the dose that I was given for my other hen and pushed the prolapse in and she did then keep it in. She kept the prolapse in for most of the day after and then towards evening today it was out again and covered in poop. I've bathed her and got as much of the poop off as I could but impossible to get it all off. I've given her some more Metacam and pushed it back in. Just hope I'm doing the right thing
How old is she?
Is this the first time she's prolapsed?

What exactly do you feed her?

How old is she?
Is this the first time she's prolapsed?

What exactly do you feed her?
She's one and yes, this is the first time she has prolapsed. I feed her layers pellets and grit and oyster shell. At the moment though I'm just feeding her corn to discourage laying and I've separated her from the other hens.

It's come out again tonight. I've given her some Metacam again, bathed her and pushed it back in. I think it will be out again tomorrow though. :-(

She's one and yes, this is the first time she has prolapsed. I feed her layers pellets and grit and oyster shell. At the moment though I'm just feeding her corn to discourage laying and I've separated her from the other hens.

It's come out again tonight. I've given her some Metacam again, bathed her and pushed it back in. I think it will be out again tomorrow though. :-(
Please don't feed her just corn.
She needs a balanced diet and that's what the layer feet is.
Feeding her just corn could make matters worse.

Have you been giving her extra Calcium for retention?
If not, then give her Calcium Citrate with D3. She's a small hen, so I'd give her 1/2 tablet daily for several days.

If the tissue won't go back in, then keep it moist with ointment, oil or honey.

Layer feed would be best to feed instead of corn. Feeding just corn will not stop her from laying eggs.
If you are wanting to attempt to halt production so she can heal from prolapse, then she'll need to be in total darkness for 16hrs a day for a few weeks before production tapers off.

Ok, I will put her back on layers pellets. I read somewhere that you should just read corn when they've prolapsed - guess that was wrong. I'll get some Calcium Citrate. It's out again this morning so I will bathe it again and put some oil on it. Thank you for all the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom