Please Help! Worried! Peking Duck brooding behavior advice

Pics
A couple things come to mind. The black mulch. I wonder if it’s gotten too wet underneath, or if she was able to keep it good and dry. That last one looks pretty moist, so maybe they didn’t lose enough internal moisture.
Was she out in the open rain while sitting? Has she moved the eggs during this whole time, I mean like several feet from the initial nest? I had one sit beside my house and she kept moving the eggs after it rained, so I finally added a temporary shelter overhead. I know it’s too late for this now, but just adding for others to maybe benefit from.

A couple things come to mind. The black mulch. I wonder if it’s gotten too wet underneath, or if she was able to keep it good and dry. That last one looks pretty moist, so maybe they didn’t lose enough internal moisture.
Was she out in the open rain while sitting? Has she moved the eggs during this whole time, I mean like several feet from the initial nest? I had one sit beside my house and she kept moving the eggs after it rained, so I finally added a temporary shelter overhead. I know it’s too late for this now, but just adding for others to maybe benefit from.
She positioned herself / nest up
Against our house and behind a bush. Only the overhang / soffit of the house provided shelter from the rain. But our thunderstorms are severe with strong winds that would blow onto her. She is only in the direct sunlight for an hour which is smart w temps over 100 degrees but doesn’t help to dry out the mulch. No, she has not moved her eggs at all.

EE92D396-2126-437C-AE03-F16A14DE1865.jpeg
And then there were 3 ..... another egg tossed out of the nest during the night. I candled them yesterday and do not think any are viable but I am a novice so not sure. The shell is darker so it’s hard for me to tell. The lighter one may be viable.
AF8CD27E-C9D1-4DCA-A76E-BD548DC8F6C4.jpeg
I put them back in the nest. No evidence of cracking, no movement, no chirping. Leave them? She has been on thenest now since June 9th. I’ve added supplements to her water and am encouraging her to get off the nest more frequently but she is only leaving for an hour a day. Here is my sweet girl (well sweet until I try to get her off the nest lol)

I also took pictures of the egg that she removed last night.
371347C3-3B5A-4359-96F9-A348454C1A54.jpeg
DACBC449-21FD-43BA-8FE4-E48E1F9A900A.jpeg

That doesn't look good poor mama and duckling. I don't know what to tell you maybe she'll just take care of this on her own. All you'll need to do is clean out the nest area once she is finished and make sure she begins taking care of herself. She is so pretty.

Last edited:
Pretty sad situation. I always hate when they sit tight for so long, with nothing to show for it. Even one duckling would be ok, since it would be with momma, so we will keep fingers crossed. :fl

p.s. probably too late to worry about bedding change, but I bet the excess moisture had some effect.

Pretty sad situation. I always hate when they sit tight for so long, with nothing to show for it. Even one duckling would be ok, since it would be with momma, so we will keep fingers crossed. :fl

p.s. probably too late to worry about bedding change, but I bet the excess moisture had some effect.
I feel horrible because when the waters were rising around her in a storm on July 5th, we added additional mulch to absorb the water near her and put sand bags around her area. Didn’t want the rising water to flood the nest. She of course loved the additional bedding. I had NO idea that would create this!! She looked so happy to have more stuff to build with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom