Please Help! Worried! Peking Duck brooding behavior advice

If you could get a pic lay the egg down on its side and put the flash light at the fat end. So we can see where the air cell is. Can you look at the chart and get an idea?

If you could get a pic lay the egg down on its side and put the flash light at the fat end. So we can see where the air cell is. Can you look at the chart and get an idea?
She is back on the nest now so I can’t get an egg. ... We laid the egg on its side and shined the light from the side at the fat end. Looked more like the air cell was not at the top of the egg but slightly to the left of the top. More like the last picture in the chart but definitely not as defined / evident

And the rest of the egg was dark? I think there is a possibility she might have not laid her clutch and maybe didn’t start brooding when you thought. All you can do is wait now.

And the rest of the egg was dark? I think there is a possibility she might have not laid her clutch and maybe didn’t start brooding when you thought. All you can do is wait now.
Yes the rest of the egg was dark. I appreciate you sticking in here with me and helping. I feel so much better knowing there is someone I can reach out to. I’ll keep posting here as things change.

Ducks are terrible mothers. What you are seeing is her way of disposing of the bad ones. Sometimes they will bury them under the good ones in the ground. To me I see this behavior in new layers. Also, don’t touch them. They will sometimes eat those. I would increase her protein by getting some gamebird feed and provide cacium as well in case she is missing what she needs. I have Sweds. First time moms often abort the nest the first time and maybe second. Your other female could also be laying in same nest and she doesn't like that either. Once she has them watch them because they most likely wont. Hope this helps.

Ducks are terrible mothers. What you are seeing is her way of disposing of the bad ones. Sometimes they will bury them under the good ones in the ground. To me I see this behavior in new layers. Also, don’t touch them. They will sometimes eat those. I would increase her protein by getting some gamebird feed and provide cacium as well in case she is missing what she needs. I have Sweds. First time moms often abort the nest the first time and maybe second. Your other female could also be laying in same nest and she doesn't like that either. Once she has them watch them because they most likely wont. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the info. I will watch them

I have to disagree Ducks are not terrible Mothers but some are better than others. I also handle my broody eggs and they do not eat them. Yes you want to keep mom and ducklings away from drakes and also safe from predators. Usually by 3 weeks the ducklings are better able to stay away from the drake and are on their way to being independent.

I have to disagree Ducks are not terrible Mothers but some are better than others. I also handle my broody eggs and they do not eat them. Yes you want to keep mom and ducklings away from drakes and also safe from predators. Usually by 3 weeks the ducklings are better able to stay away from the drake and are on their way to being independent.
Weird things areg
41F783E1-DD42-4854-A80C-4E585F0C2EE9.png
happening again. I think you are right about the date when she started brooding.When she got off the nest this afternoon this is what my husband found (I’m out of town) What is going on here?

Are all the eggs broken? It looks like she is stepping on them maybe? Knocking them together? I don’t know but if the eggs are ruined I would clean out the nest destroy the nest and place something over top so she can’t get back on it. If all the eggs are cracked an broken.

Back
Top Bottom