Please Help! Worried! Peking Duck brooding behavior advice

Pics
I have no idea why she is doing this. But if you want to try an finish the hatch that is up to you.
Is it possible, because of the heat here (heat index is 100-105 w high humidity) and that she sits on them constantly that they are getting too hot? She rarely even stands up to let air under her. She is only in direct sun for about one hour a day though.

Is it possible, because of the heat here (heat index is 100-105 w high humidity) and that she sits on them constantly that they are getting too hot? She rarely even stands up to let air under her. She is only in direct sun for about one hour a day though.

I’ve contacted 3 local farm supply/ feed stores, DNR, waterfowl Rescue, the school system (we don’t even have FFA here), etc and this site has been the best for information and support. It’s frustrating that we do not have local resources.

She hasn’t been off the nest since yesterday morning when she took the duckling out of the nest. My husband bought an incubator last evening for me to set up
When I get home. I’m hoping / planning to return home tomorrow so I can get a better idea what is going on.

I was just watching her (over security cam) eat her dinner and drink but she didn’t get up so I could see under her. I’m keeping watch.

Thanks for checking.

Update: I just returned last evening. As evident from the security camera she took another egg off in the middle of the night (Wednesday). ..... I reviewed the camera footage last night and saw her do the same thing. I found the duckling this morning. Dead and outside of the shell. However, there are still 7 eggs (there should only be 6 now) . Is it that she is still laying and killing the ones as they hatch??? Is it time for me to take the eggs away and attempt to put them in the incubator?? This is all new to me. It’s tearing me up.

Back
Top Bottom