Please help! Young pullet is a lethargic orb.

I have two pullets around the age of yours. I raise my chicks in a special pen inside the main run. This is where the chicks are brooded from day one, and around age two weeks, I open pop holes from this pen into the rest of the run.

However, at this age, they are still much too young to fully compete with the adults at the feeders, even though I have several feeding stations. The pullets have their own food inside their safe have so they are assured of always getting enough to eat without being hassled.

The pop holes, or portals, are around 4 1/2 inches by 7 inches high and they accommodate chicks until they are nearly the size of the adults. By that time, they are handling themselves at the adults feeders pretty well.

Minor update: I hand fed her several chunks of scrambled egg and she ate it happily. She kept closing her eyes and trying to go back to sleep but she did eat a bunch! I decided to start with that because I still havent seen her drink so I'm not sure how interested she will be in the sugar water. She seemed to be lifting her head a little more to look around instead of scrunching her neck down into herself but she still is not moving around. Hoping she's just trying to rest and regain strength.

I have two pullets around the age of yours. I raise my chicks in a special pen inside the main run. This is where the chicks are brooded from day one, and around age two weeks, I open pop holes from this pen into the rest of the run.

However, at this age, they are still much too young to fully compete with the adults at the feeders, even though I have several feeding stations. The pullets have their own food inside their safe have so they are assured of always getting enough to eat without being hassled.

The pop holes, or portals, are around 4 1/2 inches by 7 inches high and they accommodate chicks until they are nearly the size of the adults. By that time, they are handling themselves at the adults feeders pretty well.

I do have a small hutch/pen they sleep in during the night, which is where I'll make sure they're getting constant food access in there now. I kept them in the pen full time for several days while the adults got acclimated to seeing them, however it's not inside the chicken coop/run itself. I think I've been lucky with integration before since we have lots of space and I try to raise them in batches of 3-4 so they're own little "flock" and don't get bullied as much. I'm very interested in the pop holes though, I might try that when I build a bigger run for sure! Having a run with two separate spaces would be great.

Many of us have this special space in our runs. It's useful for a lot of things. Some of us call it the "jail" because it's handy to put a naughty chicken in. I use it for sick or injured chickens that need safety from the flock. This way they never "leave" and when they are well, they simply go back to being in the flock. It's especially great for brooding chicks. You can see the little pop hole to the left. It remains covered with a door flap until the chicks are ready to mingle. There is another pop hole toward the end opposite where the chicks' heating pad cave is. It's always best to have more than one entrance for the chicks.
3C4092F8-9D63-4A80-9AA1-0AF0715EF7C0.jpeg

2.5 months old, so not laying age yet. I noticed today she was out and just sitting there all puffed

organic layer crumble
I agree, I would get her on chick starter. Layer crumble generally has too much calcium for chicks.
Grit should be offered free choice.

Personally with her puffed up appearance. I would treat for Coccidiosis.
Corid can be found in the cattle section of TSC. Liquid Corid Dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. I would not add anything else to the water during the course of treatment.

IF her crop is not emptying overnight, then I would also proceed to treat that as well.

Back
Top Bottom