Please help!

meowmama

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
I am a new chicken owner and have ended up with 4 roosters & 4 hens (am just discovering this as they reach maturity).

Question # 1 - does anyone know of someone in the southern NH area that will adopt young, healthy roosters? Or someoone who will humanely slaughter/process roosters? I had heard there was a woman in Derry, but that's all the info. I have. I cannot keep 4 roosters.

Question #2 - We went away for the weekend and I came back to a hen with a bloody neck! She is white, so that makes it very obvious. What's going on? I've seen the roosters fight, but not the hens. What can I do to help her heal? How can I stop what is apparently pecking/'bullying'?

Thanks for you quick response. I don't want the hen to get any worse or any others to become injured.

Maybe you could try posting in the "Buy-Sell-Trade" part of the forum for either roos or sale or free roos in the NH area. Maybe your hen's neck was bloody due to over mating?? If this is the case, 3 roos should be taken away from the rest of the flock to reduce the overmating issue since you only need 1 roo for the 4 hens. JMHO
smile.png

A post in BST or on craigslist might be able to find them a pet or food home.

Blood on neck was probably from the roos getting agressive on her. I'd take 3 out asap before it gets worse. Ideally, it's one roo per 10 or so hens to prevent overmaiting. For now, clean up the hen, and dab some plain neosporin on the wound. Blue kote may help hide it too. If pecking is an issue, you may have to isolate her till it heals.

I generally post a message on Freecycle or Craigslist saying: "Roosters, Free to good home or soup pot."

Always someone calls to take them. I do not do background checks as the local humane society does if one wants to adopt a cat which they will other-wise kill if one does not meet their high standards. I simply say goodbye and wish them well.

The lot of the Rooster gender is not kind, save for the lucky few.

Wayne

Quote:
LOL

Saidly ironic isn't it? With all the paper work I see at some of these shelters... it's almost easier for me to just pick up a unwanted craigslist dog/cat or pay twice as much as their 150 fees to get a puppy somewhere.

Where do I find the Buy/Sell/Trade link to post on? Can't seem to locate it.

Things are getting worse.
sad.png
Now all 4 hens are bloody. I need to do somethning ASAP. Have no way to seperate them - just one coop.

Do hens peck one another or is it definitely the roosters causing the problem?
Thank-you for your help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=35

Unless
you can observe them/separate them, it's hard to know the culprit. Four roosters is at least three too many for four hens though. I would definitely re-home at least three of the roos or make a lot of chicken soup. If the pecking continues, you will at least be able to narrow down what you are dealing with.

Take care,
Penny

The roos tend to "grab on" at the neck with their beaks. Usually if hens are pecking each other it is usually butt pecking. The real problem comes along because once red flesh is exposed they will all go for it because of the color. The best thing for you to to is get them apart as fast as you can. If you are lucky enough to let them out in the day time at least toss the boys out and keep the girls in.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom