!!PLEASE HELP!!

It is an “if”!
You location helps if someone knows of a disease local to your area or for advising on meds.
“If” it is gapeworm & or just a big worm burden (you said she’s thin?) she’s got to get rid of those worms - feed her whatever she’ll eat & if she won’t drink then wet foods are best. Will she eat yoghurt?
Gapeworms live in the throat and cause “gaping” behaviour, so think soft wet squishy foods, easy to digest & pass through her system.

The dose for gapeworms with Safegaurd might be different to a routine treatment for roundworms ect.... I’m hoping someone from the US will be able to comment further & help you there

Very well. I'll head to the store and grab some yogurt, see if she'll eat it. I know she'll eat water-soaked foods so ill offer that to her for dinner tonight, my flock is free-range but they have access to food all day, so I've seen her picking at foods all morning. I've noticed dead worms in some of the other girl's droppings as well, ill keep a close eye on her and her friends.

Very well. I'll head to the store and grab some yogurt, see if she'll eat it. I know she'll eat water-soaked foods so ill offer that to her for dinner tonight, my flock is free-range but they have access to food all day, so I've seen her picking at foods all morning. I've noticed dead worms in some of the other girl's droppings as well, ill keep a close eye on her and her friends.

Dead worms is a sign that it could be worm toxicity. I think that’s probably a helpful sign that it might be her problem.
That’s why I’d be tempted to finish the course. You’ve got to finish the process. Flubenvet is a 7 day course for hens in the UK, is it the same for you in the US?
Plain yoghurt is good, scrambled eggs are good. Water soaked foods are good - It’s great that she’s eating, that’s a good sign! Her best chances of feeling better rely on her excreting those dead worms. You know her best - whatever you can tempt her with really. Keep an eye on her buddies & hopefully they’ll all perk up once they’ve passed these dead worms.

Last edited:
she will eat, but won't drink
-I haven't seen her lay at all for a week+
-She has small, regular droppings.
-She very lethargic, just still with her neck pulled back and slightly up
-her comb is a good color, bright red
-I've given her electorates, eggs, feed, vitamins, and dewormer (over the past few days)
-Her flock mates are also lethargic, but not like this. they drink and eat OK, one of them is pretty lethargic like this though
-She's quite thin as well
She's 2-3 years old, barred rock. I gave her 3 ccs of safeguard in a gallon of water, I gave her some last night and a little this morning
Did she become lethargic before you de-wormed or after? Safeguard (fenbendazole) dosing is administered by weight and given orally. In water it settles out, so likely if she's not drinking then she didn't get enough medication to make a difference if worms are part of her problem.
Dose for Fenbendazole is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

You have other birds that are also lethargic - please post photos of poop and the hens.
It would be unusual to have multiple birds all at one time to be sick with worms.

What do you feed including treats. Any chance food has molded or they ate anything rotten or toxic?

What does her and the other birds crops feel like?

My hen I've been watching for a few days now just keeps getting worse. It started with lethargy, then gasping, then refusing to drink, and just today shes even worse. Last night I brought her in and fed her water-soaked feed, and she ate it ok but every bite she would lift her head up and gasp. Today shes even more lethargic. She will eat but absolutely refuse to drink, I feel like I'm just watching her die. I gave her some electrolyte water via dropper this morning but it hasn't done much for her. I have no idea what to do, and I don't wanna overload her little system, as I was originally giving her dewormer. I've given her raw egg, boiled egg, etc. Everything I could think of to try to help, and I still only have a loose idea of what MIGHT be going on. I need help, advice, anything.

-she will eat, but won't drink
-I haven't seen her lay at all for a week+
-She has small, regular droppings.
-She very lethargic, just still with her neck pulled back and slightly up
-her comb is a good color, bright red
-I've given her electorates, eggs, feed, vitamins, and dewormer (over the past few days)
-Her flock mates are also lethargic, but not like this. they drink and eat OK, one of them is pretty lethargic like this though
-She's quite thin as well
Where are you located? You need to share at least the local vicinity in your profile so that we can better help you. Such as for example if California, USA there are Wildfires and smoke toxicity is affecting wildlife everywhere. So that helps us help you tremendously. I’m not trying to be rude to you. The admin folks will tell you the same things.

Well I see now that you are in Texas near the coast. Did you get affected by any of the flooding from the hurricanes recently? Was your food supply impacted? Do you know for sure if your food supplier sold you fresh dry food? You need to be sure of those things. Many people are scraping by for so many reasons. I hope you haven’t been sold any bad feed. Good luck to you and your flock getting better.

Well I see now that you are in Texas near the coast. Did you get affected by any of the flooding from the hurricanes recently? Was your food supply impacted? Do you know for sure if your food supplier sold you fresh dry food? You need to be sure of those things. Many people are scraping by for so many reasons. I hope you haven’t been sold any bad feed. Good luck to you and your flock getting better.
I don't think any of the feed has been affected, I stocked up on feed before anything major happened, and it's all in a sealed container, so the feed is OK. Yes, she was lethargic before dewormer, and after it got worse. I caught her drinking a good amount just earlier, and I've already given her the correct dosage of safeguard via a dropper, just to be sure. I only have one day left of treatment, and her crop has been filling and emptying fine. I'll go out and grab some pictures now.

Did she become lethargic before you de-wormed or after? Safeguard (fenbendazole) dosing is administered by weight and given orally. In water it settles out, so likely if she's not drinking then she didn't get enough medication to make a difference if worms are part of her problem.
Dose for Fenbendazole is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

You have other birds that are also lethargic - please post photos of poop and the hens.
It would be unusual to have multiple birds all at one time to be sick with worms.

What do you feed including treats. Any chance food has molded or they ate anything rotten or toxic?

What does her and the other birds crops feel like?

Wyorp Rock - can you please clarify what % fenbendazole that dose recommendation is for & what it’s treats? This forum is such a great resource for folk around the world but we are all working with different brands in different countries eg. Flubenvet or safeguard or whatever. It’s really helpful when people mention what % the product is when advising about dosages - then they can translate it into something they can source & ensures that best of intentions don’t result in giving something at the wrong concentration!

I went out and checked on everybody, tried to get pictures. I only have 2 hens that are super lethargic,(one is worse than the other) the others are just a little dull. The vast majority of my flock, however, has been hanging out in their dust-bath coop all day. The bird in question seems to be a little bit more responsive, she came to me like everyone else, but shes still quite lethargic.

I went out and checked on everybody, tried to get pictures. I only have 2 hens that are super lethargic,(one is worse than the other) the others are just a little dull. The vast majority of my flock, however, has been hanging out in their dust-bath coop all day. The bird in question seems to be a little bit more responsive, she came to me like everyone else, but shes still quite lethargic.
No photos?
Are they laying eggs?
It's really hard to know what's going on with them.
Since you have more than one that is lethargic, I would suspect it's related to food/something they ate or in their environment.

Any changes made to their coop/run - new bedding, change in feed, got into something like fertilizer/weed killer? Water change? Added any new birds recently...anything you can think of?

No photos?
Are they laying eggs?
It's really hard to know what's going on with them.
Since you have more than one that is lethargic, I would suspect it's related to food/something they ate or in their environment.

Any changes made to their coop/run - new bedding, change in feed, got into something like fertilizer/weed killer? Water change? Added any new birds recently...anything you can think of?
A few of them are laying, nothing has changed, though. The only thing I can think of is about a month ago, we changed their feed to mini pellets instead of crumble, but that's it. Could it have anything to do with long grass? My lawnmower broke a little while back, so I haven't been able to trim the grass, and it's gotten out of control. We still working on repairing it. In some spots, its well above the poor girls head.

Back
Top Bottom