Please Help!

mmcclennen

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Hello! I am a long time reader, but this is my first time joining / posting!

I am a classroom teacher with three successful years of hatching!

This year, I initially had two hatch, one at about 1 AM this morning, and the other at about 7 AM this morning. We thought the rest of the eggs were doomed, until one hatched at about 1 PM today. As soon as it hatched, the other two began attacking it! Of course all my students saw and were nearly traumatized by the whole thing!

In the incubator, the late hatcher seemed to want to be with the other two, but they attacked and chased it around the incubator. I split the incubator in half with a screen to keep the little guy safe. The other two early hatchers are completely dried off and I have moved them into their new home -

My question is - what should I do about my late hatcher! Will he survive in the incubator alone? When he is dried off, do i dare put him in the box with the two other chicks? I have never had an odd number hatch like this before! Any help would be so appreciated! I can't imagine having to tell my 5 and 6 year olds that the chick they watched hatch today didn't make it!

Welcome to BYC!!!!
smiley-hug007.gif
Mine would fight because they were boys but never like that. I really don't know what to tell you.

Once he dries off he should be fine with the others. Maybe the two older ones were hungry. When I'm hatching chicks and some hatch earlier than others, I darken the room or put something to block the light in the incubator. That will settle active chicks down and give the late hatchers a chance to dry off and gain strength before having to deal with other hatchmates.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm glad to be reassured that they will be fine! The late hatcher is resting quietly now and the other two are doing great in their box! Fingers crossed when I move him over! Thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom