PLEASE IMMEDIATE HELP! Crest ripped off on pekin duck!

Poor duck! She should be just fine though, as long as the wound is kept clean and able to heal properly. Birds sure do bleed a lot and it is quite scary to see one covered in blood. Had a duck rip out a toenail a few years back in the snow and it looked like a massacre.

Oh boy, as I was reading, I was expecting worse. Yes, it’s a horrible thing to happen, but she looks like she has an excellent chance of recovery. I’d personally just try to keep it clean and give it time to heal. I hope you can keep her separated until it scabs over well enough. A little peroxide wash (just once, since peroxide is not great when used too much). Examine it well to see if any tissue is loose, and how bad the wound may be. A little antibiotic ointment probably wouldn’t hurt after it’s all cleaned up and dry.
You've received good advice ^^

I don't know much about ducks and I'm sorry to hear she is injured. Getting a better look at the wound is always a good idea. If you need to, trim some of the feathers around the wound so it stays cleaner. Hopefully it's not too deep and she heals quickly.

Update: first and foremost thank you all for your responses and advice. After keeping her indoors for a few days and culling our rooster I’m proud to say all is back to harmony. Fro’s poor crest finally fell off all together after the attack so now she has more of a little tuft rather than an Afro like before but she’s healing amazingly. I thought it would because it was not smelling to good at all. Once we culled our rooster it seems like Everyone is 10000x calmer. Chickens and ducks alike! I never realize how Much of a burden our rooster was being for the flock but now everyone is cheeky and calm. He was an amazing and beautiful rooster but just too aggressive for his own good. Even being hand raised by me, he wasn’t good for the birds. Thank you again for all your concern and help!!

Back
Top Bottom