Please Post Pics of Hen & Clutch Coops/Places

NixNoodleNumbat

Songster
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Australia
It will be a few months before I start, but I want to have a kind-of plan so I can start collecting materials.
Please post pictures of coops/places that you keep your broody with her clutch! I would like to see what others have done.

I just shove mine in a roomy cage once they hatch...they brood with the rest of the herd, I mean flock. ;) but once chicks hatch they get put up in a cage as my chickens free range-too much risk of babies becoming crow and hawk snacks. Any ol cage will do, throw some hay in and they are happy as clams but start getting grumpy if they can range with their babies so on warm days need some turn out time without the kids. I have had the mamas parade around with their babies but some other hens dont take kindly to that...the pecking order starts early and babies can get dead-esp if more than one mama is running with babies or the chicks get mixed up...mamas know their babies and most are happy to peck HARD/ kill any babies that arent theirs. :-/

The first one is in a brooder (2 pictures). Currently I have chicks on top and broodies on the bottom.

31282_dscf2279.jpg

I have had a few broodies brood and raise their chicks in a doghouse......

31282_dscf7647a.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom