Please recommend an electric fence

Paula321

Songster
Oct 28, 2019
Lake Wales, Florida (Central Florida)
My coop and run have 1/4 inch hardware cloth completely surrounding every bit of it and a metal roof. I have 1/2 inch hardware skirting underground.

Two different neighbors lost whole flocks in the last month. They are thinking coyotes. My whole acre yard is fenced. I want to add another layer of protection so want an electric fence. The chicks will not be near this as I will run it outside if their coop. We have so many eagles and hawks, they are never out of the coop run unless I am with them so I can disable the electricity to the fence.

I am not worrying about the chicks coming into contact with this at all. I want to deter fox, raccoons and coyotes. Can you recommend a fence I can install about 6 inches outside and all the way around their run/coop?

I have heard animals can chew through hardware fabric. I have no actual coop since I’m in Florida where it never freezes. They have a 28x12 run that is 8 feet tall all under a metal roof. I can’t imaging if something got them. They leave the brooder in my bathroom on Saturday and I’m a little scared.

My coop and run have 1/4 inch hardware cloth completely surrounding every bit of it and a metal roof. I have 1/2 inch hardware skirting underground.

Two different neighbors lost whole flocks in the last month. They are thinking coyotes. My whole acre yard is fenced. I want to add another layer of protection so want an electric fence. The chicks will not be near this as I will run it outside if their coop. We have so many eagles and hawks, they are never out of the coop run unless I am with them so I can disable the electricity to the fence.

I am not worrying about the chicks coming into contact with this at all. I want to deter fox, raccoons and coyotes. Can you recommend a fence I can install about 6 inches outside and all the way around their run/coop?
Zareba also makes good fence chargers. I have not had good luck with Gallagher chargers.

This may come as a shock (no pun intended) coming from one of BYC's most ardent promoters of electric fences, but you (OP) would be better served with a different wire system on your coop. My preference is 1/2" x 1" 16 gauge cage wire for the window openings and runs (nothing but a mouse or a bear will get through it)......and at least 1" x 2" 14 gauged welded wire for your dig apron. Do that and almost nothing is going to get past it......assuming you have all the edges enclosed. That eliminates the complication of installing and maintaining the E fence for just the coop. I would maintain that a well built coop simply doesn't need it.

Yards and perimeters yes. Just the coops and runs? If you built it right.....no.

But since you asked, unless and until you can do the heavier wire, go to any local farm story (TSC, etc) and get yourself a 1 joule charger......6 inch stand off insulators and enough 1/8" poly wire rope to encircle your coop/run at 6 inch intervals from the ground up about 2 feet. That would be 4 strands.

If they are cheaper, use step-in white poly insulated posts instead of the stand off insulators. Use the bottom 4 clips. Same 1 joule charger. For peace of mind, also get yourself a voltage tester.

This may come as a shock (no pun intended) coming from one of BYC's most ardent promoters of electric fences, but you (OP) would be better served with a different wire system on your coop. My preference is 1/2" x 1" 16 gauge cage wire for the window openings and runs (nothing but a mouse or a bear will get through it)......and at least 1" x 2" 14 gauged welded wire for your dig apron. Do that and almost nothing is going to get past it......assuming you have all the edges enclosed. That eliminates the complication of installing and maintaining the E fence for just the coop. I would maintain that a well built coop simply doesn't need it.

Yards and perimeters yes. Just the coops and runs? If you built it right.....no.
I don’t actually have a coop. Just a run with nesting boxes and perches since it doesn’t get cold here.

Coop or run.........makes no difference. For peace of mind, use heavier wire.....especially for the dig apron.

Folks often use chicken wire and hardware cloth, and both will rust out PDQ when in constant contact with the soil.

Back
Top Bottom