Please say this normal?

Pics
28/29 days later and I have 5 little fuzz balls from freezing eggs thanks to you all!

So, if I may ask another question... 2 yellow and 3.. uhh... multicolored? The 3 darker chicks are pecking at the 2 new yellow chicks. Is this because they are the new chicks on the block and how do I fix it? They have plenty of room (half heated, all lit but the camera makes it look dark and red) and plenty of food and water available. In the pic, you can see they have a chick cornered and they don't do it constantly but it's like they all talk in a huddle and decide to gang up on the yellow guys. I tried to separate the 3 and 2 but the yellow one (the oldest of the 2 yellow ones) just sat at the screen and cried.
Also, make sure they aren't too warm, hot chicks get cranky. The temp for week old chicks should be 87 to 88 on the floor beneath the lamp, cool on the opposite side of the brooder. Chicks need things to do too, you don't want them picking at toes and eye balls. I like to put in branches and roost bars to give them places to exercise, climb abd escape each other. I also use a cereal box cut down and add chick starter, Alfalfa leaves and a sprinkling of parakeet sand and these things entertain themselves for hours, they don't have time to pick on one another.

DSCN1379.JPG

DSCN2637.JPG

DSCN2620.JPG

I'm back my chicken peeps! Had an egg go 28 days (not odd for me since the last ones went 29 as well) but this time there was no movement when we candled it. Had large bubble no peep so my son asked to do an eggtopsy... we did and decided it had somehow shrink wrapped.

Then.. movement. It was alive. It didn't start moving until we got the shell off the entire bubble. We then saw blood where I had started to cut into the membrane. So we applied Pressure, kept membrane moist, made small hole for beak etc.. a day later and its out of the shell. Yolk absorbed but looks like it is still in fetal position. One leg tucked up to its belly and its neck seemed weak but is getting stronger.. I feel like it came out too soon but has held on for 2 days now.

Any advice?

I'm back my chicken peeps! Had an egg go 28 days (not odd for me since the last ones went 29 as well) but this time there was no movement when we candled it. Had large bubble no peep so my son asked to do an eggtopsy... we did and decided it had somehow shrink wrapped.

Then.. movement. It was alive. It didn't start moving until we got the shell off the entire bubble. We then saw blood where I had started to cut into the membrane. So we applied Pressure, kept membrane moist, made small hole for beak etc.. a day later and its out of the shell. Yolk absorbed but looks like it is still in fetal position. One leg tucked up to its belly and its neck seemed weak but is getting stronger.. I feel like it came out too soon but has held on for 2 days now.

Any advice?
Oh hope the baby survives!!! Any pictures?

Prayers for your baby chick and kudos to your son for having the guts to open the shell to see what was happening! I think he may have saved the little one, time will tell. At least he made the attempt and sure enough the baby seems to have just needed a little help. Good luck to the little chick and hugs to your son.
Please leet us know how things go!

Back
Top Bottom