Please say this normal?

UPDATE: I have 3/6 hatched and healthy... one hatched then passed, and 2 still alive (1 pipped internally).

My 3rd healthy chick had the dark shell which made it hard to keep track of progress BUT I heard it chirping so I knew it had pipped internally. When heading into the 2nd day after internal pip, there was no external pip so I made a tiny safety hole in the fat end dead center since I couldn't tell where the chick was. This chick was on day 26/27 of incubation.. that night (48+ hrs since internal pip) the chirping stopped and the panicked, distress sounds started. Loud at first, then almost like it was giving up.

So I went in... I started peeling back the shell around the air sack and saw no veins but it looked like it was still absorbing the yolk (chewing). I got the shell removed a good bit but hit a small vein. Put pressure on where it was bleeding lubed its membrane up and put it back to let it try to finish on its own. But it didn't. I watched until the tiny veins went away then added some time... I finally got its head out and it laid there lifeless.. breathing but thats about it. I put a dry towel around it and this morning it was alive and well. Got a video for you guys but I DO WOODWORKING and my hands/ fingernails are most always stained .. not dirty lol. So don't judge me lol.

Oh and still 2 in eggs. Alive. Day 27/28...

UPDATE: I have 3/6 hatched and healthy... one hatched then passed, and 2 still alive (1 pipped internally).

My 3rd healthy chick had the dark shell which made it hard to keep track of progress BUT I heard it chirping so I knew it had pipped internally. When heading into the 2nd day after internal pip, there was no external pip so I made a tiny safety hole in the fat end dead center since I couldn't tell where the chick was. This chick was on day 26/27 of incubation.. that night (48+ hrs since internal pip) the chirping stopped and the panicked, distress sounds started. Loud at first, then almost like it was giving up.

So I went in... I started peeling back the shell around the air sack and saw no veins but it looked like it was still absorbing the yolk (chewing). I got the shell removed a good bit but hit a small vein. Put pressure on where it was bleeding lubed its membrane up and put it back to let it try to finish on its own. But it didn't. I watched until the tiny veins went away then added some time... I finally got its head out and it laid there lifeless.. breathing but thats about it. I put a dry towel around it and this morning it was alive and well. Got a video for you guys but I DO WOODWORKING and my hands/ fingernails are most always stained .. not dirty lol. So don't judge me lol.

Oh and still 2 in eggs. Alive. Day 27/28...
Congrats on all the babies! Near frozen eggs was a risky hatch but you did fabulous! Sorry for some of the losses. :hugs You did wonderful with the assisted hatch, glad the little guy is ok! Great job abd enjoy your chicks! :woot

Congrats on all the babies! Near frozen eggs was a risky hatch but you did fabulous! Sorry for some of the losses. :hugs You did wonderful with the assisted hatch, glad the little guy is ok! Great job abd enjoy your chicks! :woot
The last 2 eggs pipped last night.... day 27/28. Only lost 1 during hatch so far (knock on wood) .

I can't thank you all enough for your wisdom and help.

A YELLOW ONE!

Attachments

• 20231224_142519.jpg
    20231224_142519.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 8
28/29 days later and I have 5 little fuzz balls from freezing eggs thanks to you all!

So, if I may ask another question... 2 yellow and 3.. uhh... multicolored? The 3 darker chicks are pecking at the 2 new yellow chicks. Is this because they are the new chicks on the block and how do I fix it? They have plenty of room (half heated, all lit but the camera makes it look dark and red) and plenty of food and water available. In the pic, you can see they have a chick cornered and they don't do it constantly but it's like they all talk in a huddle and decide to gang up on the yellow guys. I tried to separate the 3 and 2 but the yellow one (the oldest of the 2 yellow ones) just sat at the screen and cried.

Attachments

• 20231225_002543.jpg
    20231225_002543.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 4
28/29 days later and I have 5 little fuzz balls from freezing eggs thanks to you all!

So, if I may ask another question... 2 yellow and 3.. uhh... multicolored? The 3 darker chicks are pecking at the 2 new yellow chicks. Is this because they are the new chicks on the block and how do I fix it? They have plenty of room (half heated, all lit but the camera makes it look dark and red) and plenty of food and water available. In the pic, you can see they have a chick cornered and they don't do it constantly but it's like they all talk in a huddle and decide to gang up on the yellow guys. I tried to separate the 3 and 2 but the yellow one (the oldest of the 2 yellow ones) just sat at the screen and cried.
Chicks do pick on anyone new, and anyone who looks different.

With very young chicks like that, it will generally settle down in a few hours, or at most a day or two. It is usually best to just leave them to sort it out (exceptions: if any chick gets injured to the point of bleeding, or if a chick is hiding in a corner and will not eat or drink. Those would be indications that you should separate the injured or hiding chick, or else separate the bully.)

Back
Top Bottom