Please show me your hot weather coops

Pics
Wow! That is pure genius! I wonder if it would be possible to run the hardware cloth inside and keep the drawer fronts on, flip them up during the summer for ventilation and then flip them down during the winter. I love this idea! Was looking at spending several hundred on a small plastic coop but renovating an old dresser would be doable and cheap too!

Here in Central Florida a few freezing nights is not the problem, the 98 degree weather with humidity plus is our problem for sure. My coop is a simple design but definitely built for heat, shade with lots of ventilation. When the wind is blowing cold we simply add a tarp to the roosting areas and they are happy!

Here in Central Florida a few freezing nights is not the problem, the 98 degree weather with humidity plus is our problem for sure. My coop is a simple design but definitely built for heat, shade with lots of ventilation. When the wind is blowing cold we simply add a tarp to the roosting areas and they are happy!
nice, I like it

th.gif

Wow! I wish I could have a chicken coop that big!

I'm going to follow this thread as we live in southern Arizona (south of Tucson) so it gets HOT here! My husband built this coop for our chickens last year, but I *had* to order chicks this year so I currently have 15 more birds that need to go somewhere. We need to expand our current coop, but I am still in the planning stages and unsure what to do. It makes the most sense to add something on to the back I think, not just sure how we want to do it. We were hoping to get a good price on a used shed off of craigslist but haven't had any luck.

Hello.
I agree completely. My Dad served in two wars. Also enjoyed looking at Moonlit farm. I am having a 16 x 16 coop built in a few days
We live in Central Florida. I have 4 coops to part with because I need a cooler coop here. I didn't know anything about raising chickens
when I bought these coops, they would be better further north. I am trying to get more ideas for this coop...all of the materials were
delivered, but I feel like I will need to add to it after looking at some of these.
The most important thing is a full roof. I have one that does, but it is too dark. Also a new location, under the canopy of trees instead
of the hot sun. Thanks for the inspiration.

We are in muggy Texas and our coop is for ducks...so ventilation is a must... Without air flow it would smell like we buried a body in our back yard!

The coop is made of two cattle hoops to make a giant walk in hoop coop. The walls are lined with chicken wire with the bottom portion doubled up with hardware cloth it is then sandwiched between boards. This makes it very difficult for predators to snatch!

There are two canvas panels on either side to unroll During bad weather. The panels are lined with shower curtains to keep things dry. When weather has passed.... We just roll them back up!

Here is our set up!

These are awesome! I'm still trying to decide on a design for my coop, and was very fortunate to be directed to this thread **Thanks, Judy!**

I haven't looked before today at any 3-sided designs--I think I'm still a little traumatized by the exceptionally cold winters we've been having the past couple years (and it's 40 degrees this morning, and it's MAY!) and I have not put as much thought into keeping the hens cool as I have in keeping them warm during the winter.

I'm probably going to plan my design based on the pigeon coop my dad built for me years ago (without any plans laying it out for him; wow, I wish I still knew some of the stuff my parents knew!) and add a run that the chickens can get into and out of whenever they want. Whenever it gets figured out, I will definitely post pics here!

Tad,
Like your coop. How long did it take you to build it and how big is the coop? How many nesting boxes and such does it have?

Back
Top Bottom