Please sign this petition against TSCs new brooders

TSC has installed new brooders this year that are severely abusive to the chicks. There have been several complaints on their facebook page and at their corporate level. Chicks are dying at a much higher rate due to these tower brooders. Please sign this petition to have TSC go back to doing what is best for the birds!

https://www.change.org/p/tractor-su...ed_by_id=7f02b9a0-3d16-11e8-8272-1bc5bedbc2c3

Thank you. Feel free to post anything you have seen regarding these bad brooder set ups. We went to Rural King yesterday and they still had open air brooders so this is just TSC handing over a project to an engineer to make the ideal brooder.
Don’t buy from TSC. I have much better success buying direct from Murray Mcmurray. From potentially bringing home diseases to massive pasty butt issues stay away. My thought.

I've been misread.

To clarify.

I believe TSC's chick losses this year are caused by more than poor mechanical design choices in the new display fixtures, which i have commented on in other threads.

I believe they will in fact make numerous changes to fix the issues in their control, which do not involve abandoning the new fixtures.

I believe TSC has strong motication to do so.

...and i believe they would do those things whether there is yet another internet petition or not.

Last edited:
I've been misread.

To clarify.

I believe TSC's chick losses this year are caused by more than poor mechanical design choices in the new display fixtures, which i have commented on in other threads.

I believe they will in fact make numerous changes to fix the issues in their control, which do not involce abandoning the new fixtures.

I believe TSC has strong motication to do so.

...and i believe they would do those things whether there is yet another internet petition or not.
Clearly you havent much practice as I believe in at least 6 impossible things before breakfast. All joking aside, I also do not believe they will abandon these fixtures as I'm sure they invested a lot of money with them. All I am hoping for is they will abandon them until they are working properly.

I think there's a generation gap at play here.
The younger generation is all about change and social media etc.
You all haven't lived as long as some of us others and saw how the world worked in a different time and how some things don't change.
Some of us older members have different views about social media and probably how impactful it can be.
This change you want to make is social media driven and this petition seems like the answer to you.
The older ones that would take a different route and even the one that called so many hypocrites see this as a business and the only way to change a business or get their attention is by cutting into their dollars.
We are more prone to skip a petition and just not support or give our money to a company that we do not agree with or agree with there practices.

It's not the equipment's fault it is operator error. That and regional Managers who refuse to pass along or train the store managers on how to properly use them. A strong statement I know, but i have a good relationship with our local TSC manager and her is aware of the problem and has had no issues due to knowing how to use these new brooders, as he and his family have used similar models for years.

The first thing he said, is they adjust so do so, then depending on teh type of poultry either use the brooder switch or heat switch which will increase the heat output for bantams not being able to get close enough to the heat source.

Second, all chicks are taken from the shipping boxes and placed in the old style troughs in the back room for 24 hours, to make sure they are eating, have gotten something to drink and are properly warmed back up.

He likes the new brooders for the simple fact he can walk by and see if he needs to pull a chick with pasty butt or maybe one is not doing well and needs to go back to the hospital tank. What he doesn't like is how many are stacked up, he thinks they should be one level shorter as they have to use a ladder to get chicks out of the top brooder.

Don't blame the equipment. I've repeated myself and will continue to do so as this style of brooder has been used for upwards of 50 years, if not longer without issue. I've walked around these brooders in my area and placed my hand near the vents and can feel the heat billowing out and the chicks content and happy

The issue IS, operator training and regional manager oversight not allowing correct ways to be used.

x2. These are the traditional style of brooders for larger scale chick rearing, and like anything else, must be used properly.
The open top water trough brooders formerly used only did as well as the staff caring for them, and were much easier for shoppers to get inside, never better.
There's a problem at some stores, not just TSC, where staff isn't adequately trained, lacks time, and just may not care about the health and safety of their live animals. It comes from the top down, with management decisions, regardless of the type of brooders used.
In my area, there's a range of management, from good to not so good, at several different farm stores.
Here we order chicks from hatcheries, and sometimes buy chicks at the local TSC. They have done a much better job with their chicks than two other places in this area, BTW.
Mary

It's not the equipment's fault it is operator error.

The first thing he said, is they adjust so do so, then depending on teh type of poultry either use the brooder switch or heat switch which will increase the heat output for bantams not being able to get close enough to the heat source.
This is exactly what I have observed at the local TSC. Once the system was tweaked after the initial shipment, all chicks seem to be warm enough.

Back
Top Bottom