Please someone help, baby chick constantly crying

I turned up the roomrheater so it's much warmer. I'm going to put in a little plushie or feather duster in there near the plate. Now their coop is ready just not the run would it be a good idea to move the older ones to it in case some of them are outgrowing the brooder?

Do NOT leave her alone in the brooder! That's just asking for more issues. The first is that she'll continue chirping for company, and the added stress of not being able to see or hear other peeps will put an added stress on her already taxed system.

The second issue - and it's a big one - is that, once she's ready to join the others, she'll be seen as an intruder. She's likely to be bullied by the others, especially if they're older, bigger or stronger.

If you DO decide to put the others out, separate the peeps into two small groups - one in the coop and one in the brooder. That way, when the brooder babies go out to the coop, they'll have their own little group to snuggle and socialize with while the new pecking order gets settled. It's always easier to integrate two groups rather than single birds. And remember to integrate properly, just like you would a totally new group of chickens. They won't necessarily remember that they were babies together!

Do NOT leave her alone in the brooder! That's just asking for more issues. The first is that she'll continue chirping for company, and the added stress of not being able to see or hear other peeps will put an added stress on her already taxed system.

The second issue - and it's a big one - is that, once she's ready to join the others, she'll be seen as an intruder. She's likely to be bullied by the others, especially if they're older, bigger or stronger.

If you DO decide to put the others out, separate the peeps into two small groups - one in the coop and one in the brooder. That way, when the brooder babies go out to the coop, they'll have their own little group to snuggle and socialize with while the new pecking order gets settled. It's always easier to integrate two groups rather than single birds. And remember to integrate properly, just like you would a totally new group of chickens. They won't necessarily remember that they were babies together!

By the older I mean two or three of them that are fully feathered.

Here's a better video of the chirping. She's the little maran. You can see her trytto snuggle one of the older orpingtons there

Here's a better video of the chirping. She's the little maran. You can see her trytto snuggle one of the older orpingtons there

The classic "annoying little sister!" The bigger girls are feathered out enough that they don't need the heater, but your little one is still all downy, so she does. Still, she wants (and needs) the company, so she tries to snuggle in with the "big girls" ... who don't want any parts of it!
I think your idea of putting a plushie in there is a good one. If you tack it to the side of your brooder box, high enough to crawl under but low enough to get up on, too, she should settle some.

The classic "annoying little sister!" The bigger girls are feathered out enough that they don't need the heater, but your little one is still all downy, so she does. Still, she wants (and needs) the company, so she tries to snuggle in with the "big girls" ... who don't want any parts of it!
I think your idea of putting a plushie in there is a good one. If you tack it to the side of your brooder box, high enough to crawl under but low enough to get up on, too, she should settle some.
Good idea!
She's smaller and looks to be a bit younger and wanting to snuggle more.
Try the plushie and see if that helps.

I never did give an update, but thank you for your suggestions. I ended up getting a couple little plushies that helped a lot. I stuck one under the heat plate and she was able to calm down a good bit and is doing just fine now :D

You can see the picture of her when I posted this thread and then the other is from a couple days ago. She's bold enough to even "help" clean out their brooder box.

IMG_20190317_172033975.jpg

IMG_20190328_181319252.jpg

I’m just reading this and my maran is doing this.

Back
Top Bottom