Please tell me I have mostly hens!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MJS, May 27, 2010.

1. MJS

MJS Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    I got 7 assorted chicks from the feed store that are now about 7 weeks old. I got 7 in hopes of having at least 5 hens, since we don't want roosters, or at least no more than one. Now I'm so attached to all of them that I can't bear the thought of getting rid of any!

What do they look like? I hope I haven't posted too many photos!

1. This is Annie:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. This funny-looking thing is Baby, and what is that on it's head? A topknot?:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Chancla, who loves to sit on my shoulder:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Dave:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Ethel - very sweet chicken:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Franky:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Gabby - Not much doubt about Gabby's gender, I think! Darn!:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    They're all so cute! I love the topknots!

I'm not too good at the gender thing (have a dozen of my own that I'm still not sure about!), but I'm going to say Dave is a cockerel because of his tail. Gabby looks boyish, but I have hens with that kind of tail so I dunno. I think the others are girls. Were they sold as pullets or straight run? Do you know the breeds? Are they crosses? Very nice babies!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Here's my guesses:

Annie - pullet
    Funny looking baby - roo
    Chancla - iffy, could go either way
    Dave - so far looks like a pullet, but the comb is pretty pronounced for 7 weeks.
    Ethel - pullet
    Frankie - pullet
    Gabby is a definite roo, no doubt on that one!

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I agree with new2chooks. Except for the appropriately named "Dave", who looks more like a roo to me.

5. MJS

MJS Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I was pretty much of the same opinion. These were st. run chicks - mixes - or "just chickens" as the guy at the feedstore said. "Take all six, or none", he said. So I took all six, plus Baby, who is named Baby because it (he?) is a week younger. All except Baby and Gabby are very mellow and calm. Baby runs around like crazy, getting into trouble. Gabby has to be the first to do anything, and the rest follow. Baby and Gabby have been having some pretty serious confrontations - another reason to suspect both are roosters. Dave is calm and mellow. If he's a roo, he'll be a sweet one, I'm guessing. I hope Chancla is a pullet! She's my favorite!

Any ideas on what kind of mixes they might be? He mentioned Ameraucana and Wyandotte and, obviously RIR. But where'd the topknots come from?

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    silkie most likly. with barred rock .

7. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    2&3 are dominique or BR mixed with a crested bird like a polish.Super duper cute though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by