PLEASE THIS IS AN EMERGENCY

Cody0115

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2019
I have posted a thread before this asking for help, but no one replied and my chicken is getting worse. She is super lethargic, stumbles and barely moves. She only drinks water and we have to get her up and make her do it. She has constant diarrhea and practically poops on herself. She has laboured breathing and the occasional gurgling. Please, please help. I can't stand to see her like this and no one else can help. The vets are booked, tractor supply is out of chicken respiratory medicine, and ordering things is taking too long. Please, I need any help I can get. I can't stand to see her like this and im scared she will die.

I’m sue that there must be an emergency vet somewhere near you. Also often if you express how dire the situation is, they’ll squeeze you in an appointment!

I’m sorry you’re having these issues with your girl. :(

I second reaching out to a vet or vets in your area. She sounds like she has a lot of different things going on and needs a professional opinion.

things to consider: water - if giving water by syringe or “forcing” be really careful she does not aspirate. This will make her respiratory issues much worse.

a small hospital cage in a quiet, comfortable temperature area, probiotics, vitamin/mineral supplementation, are all things you can do in the meantime.

I agree with @Isaac 0 it could be a crop issue. Can you feel her crop? Is it overly full and spongy compared to your other chickens, if you have more than this one?

Sour crop is when the crop is full of liquid and the contents ferment due to sitting in the crop for days without digesting. You need to verify if the hen has a crop disorder by removing food and water after she goes to sleep tonight and then check to see if her crop is still full in the morning before you give her food and water again. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Try to feel with your fingers if the crop has any solid material in it such as grass stems. Has the hen had access to grit? If she is outside, what is your soil like? Fine sand if you live on an island in the Pacific or Caribbean or gravel if you live in Canada? Telling us your location would help so we don't have to guess.

How old is this hen? What is her laying history? When did she last lay an egg? Does she have a history of poor quality egg shells? Have any of your other chickens had respiratory disease?

How does her breath smell? Her symptoms point to sour crop.
I think it was. She passed away earlier today due to a seizure. She also vomited a lot of food up as well. I think she had it for a while due to there being food in it that she hadn't eaten in atleast 2 weeks, but she didn't show any symptoms until 3 days ago so we couldn't catch it in time. Before she was eating normal and drinking normal. There was also no horrid oder so we didn't suspect anything until it was too late.

Last edited:
I agree with @Isaac 0 it could be a crop issue. Can you feel her crop? Is it overly full and spongy compared to your other chickens, if you have more than this one?

Sour crop is when the crop is full of liquid and the contents ferment due to sitting in the crop for days without digesting. You need to verify if the hen has a crop disorder by removing food and water after she goes to sleep tonight and then check to see if her crop is still full in the morning before you give her food and water again. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Try to feel with your fingers if the crop has any solid material in it such as grass stems. Has the hen had access to grit? If she is outside, what is your soil like? Fine sand if you live on an island in the Pacific or Caribbean or gravel if you live in Canada? Telling us your location would help so we don't have to guess.

How old is this hen? What is her laying history? When did she last lay an egg? Does she have a history of poor quality egg shells? Have any of your other chickens had respiratory disease?
Not that I know of, but it was sour crop. We just caught really late due to her only showing symptoms 3 days ago. Judging by the contents of her vomit that she expelled when she passed she had it for atleast a week or 2, but see was completely normal so we didn't catch until the severe symptoms appeared. I tried everything I could, but I couldn't save her. I feel really bad about it to be honest. But we gave her the best life possible. And she passed surrounded by the ones who really loved her a lot.

With any sick chick the first thing I do is honey sugar water it’s full of electrolytes and helps so much!! she may have sour crop from the symptoms you mentioned. Since she is not able to move and is pooping on herself rub some baby oil or Vaseline on the feathers near the vent it will let it slide off and she won’t get pasty but. I hope she recovers very soon 😁

I think it was. She passed away earlier today due to a seizure. She also vomited a lot of food up as well. I think she had it for a while due to there being food in it that she hadn't eaten in atleast 2 weeks, but she didn't show any symptoms until 3 days ago so we couldn't catch it in time. Before she was eating normal and drinking normal. There was also no horrid oder so we didn't suspect anything until it was too late.

Sorry for your loss! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom