Plexiglass to make a double pane window...warm enough?

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I'm finishing my 4x4x4 coop. I used and old, single-pane window(2x4') for 1/2 of the front side (wall).
I am planning on putting plexiglass over it, on the inside of the coop.
My concern is that it will not be as warm a "wall" as the OSB walls.
Coop design put the window about 6" from the end of the roost.

What do you think? Thanks for any input...

Last edited:
I have been wondering a similar thing. I have plexiglass / lucite windows and was thinking of making a "storm" window to go over top. My coop isn't much warmer than outside at this point even with insulation!

As long as there is 1/2"-3/4" of air gap between the glass and plexi it will work fine. Less than that and there is not much insulation factor more than that is a waste of space.
You will want it sealed around the edges as well. Foam weather stripping works fine if you want to make it removable like a storm window.

Certainly worth a try, and it will help some. Not a lot, but some, and with glass windows every little bit counts!

Anyhow -- if, come January, you decide it's making the whole coop too cold, or if you end up with intractable condensation problems (particularly if you were heating the coop at all), you could always retrofit by closing some of the window off with an insulated panel over it.

So, it doesn't really require us to have totally accurate crystal balls, because you can do something about it if it SHOULD be a problem
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I've got my coop windows covered with a sandwich I made from bubble wrap and some leftover 6 mil plastic (the same stuff I used to make a partial windblock on the some of the sides of the run). It lets in some light, but gives some insulation, too.

Yup, I bubblewrap my basement windows and sometimes some chicken-bldg windows... small-bubble stuff, with the bubbles facing towards the windowglass so's to have more dead airspace. Put on with the doublesided tape you'd use for that heat-shrinkable window stuff. The bubblewrap is arguably a bit better, although of course it obstructs clear visibility somewhat.

It doesn't do *much* though. IIRC the r-value of bubblewrap used this way is generally considered to be in the low single digits. Not nearly as much effect as putting, say, 2" of rigid foamboard over part of the window!

Pat

since the seal between the glass and the plexiglass will not be completely airtight most likely it will fog up when it's cold outside and warm air from inside the coop infiltrates the space. that's not a big deal if you want this just for light but if you want to be able to see in there it will be difficult if that happens.

Back
Top Bottom