Plus 1, a new arrival just showed up, not a rooster

RWise

Songster
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Oakhurst Oklahoma
This year has been one for me to gain birds. Earlier this year 2 rooster showed up, I found both of them a flock (thanks the BYC). So I go out to gather eggs, and toss the girls some grain, there is a bird there that must have invisibility. Not one of the girls, not even the old gal gave it a glance, nor did the rooster. So I am watching it move freely about in the flock, as if it had always been there. I reach down and pick it up, place it in a bachelor pad,, it BTW is a very young white turkey
Now my question; what do feed this thing? I have of course water, also growth and feather food, but I am sure it needs more. I have also tossed in some grass clippings, any tips on what to give a turkey?

Ask for turkey or gamebird starter at your feed store, that should cover most of it's nutritional necesities. Could you post a picture or two? If the turkey is a broad-breasted white they are the turkey equivalent to cornish cross, in that they are bred for meat and just meat, and if so you got lucky and got a head start on thanksgiving. Good luck!

If it is a tom you will need to rehome it or get some hens, toms will not do well during the mating season if there are no hens, your chickens won't do well either... Broad Breasted turkeys are not the equal to the cornish cross, they are a pure bred that can live a few years and the do lay eggs, they are much more healthy than cornish cross and if you limit their food they will be fine for several years. The Broad Breasted turkeys are also decent layers. I hope it is a midget white, those are fun.

If it is a tom you will need to rehome it or get some hens, toms will not do well during the mating season if there are no hens, your chickens won't do well either... Broad Breasted turkeys are not the equal to the cornish cross, they are a pure bred that can live a few years and the do lay eggs, they are much more healthy than cornish cross and if you limit their food they will be fine for several years. The Broad Breasted turkeys are also decent layers. I hope it is a midget white, those are fun.
TIL, I was always told that, thanks for clarifying!

Thanx all! I will post a pic after while, it is dark out now,,,
I feed my girls game bird chow, so that is good!

I have never raised turkey before, so I know not how to tell if it is a tom or a hen, pics help maybe?
Either way I dont eat turkey,,,

The good part is I have a single chick from a hatch, (also in the bachelor pad) and they are becoming friends, I hope. It will be better for both to have a friend, (I free range) and at the moment they are the same size,,,at the moment.

I can eat turkey if it is fresh, once cooled no way,,, or smoked low and slow is ok

I am no photographer but heres a pic or 2

1.jpg
2.jpg

The chick is EE, (white leghorn+cream Isbar+ Ameraucana)

I'm curious as to how a little found its way to you. That's amazing. Lucky little thing. Could have come to an early end out there on its own.

Haha, I had a white hen show up this year as well. Weird thing was it had a fluorescent orange x sprayed on its back.

Strange how these things happen.

Back
Top Bottom