Plymouth Rock thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sloallie10, Dec 5, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:That is MY picture, and it is not the same upload that I used. It has been copied from MY picture.

2. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:See Kathy's post #2156. ...stan

3. Matt1616

Matt1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    South Alabama
    Kathy, what is going on with that birds wing? Is that a split wing or is that bird molting?

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Mid molt. He still has yet to get his new tail.

5. Matt1616

Mar 8, 2011
    South Alabama
    Gotcha...that is what I figured.

6. Matt1616

Mar 8, 2011
    South Alabama
    Britrock, the bird in the picture you chose is not in full feather...you may want to look around some for an American bird in full plumage to compare to your Rocks. I think you would have a better idea of how an American Rock and your Rock compare if you done so. There are plenty of pictures on this site of quality Barred Rocks for you to look at.

7. BRITROCK

BRITROCK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Hi

Sorry about the picture I used I wasn't trying to single that Rock out, it was the first picture I came across, to use as an example.
    I have looked at alot of your strains which I feel are superior to the UK Rocks, size, barring and type (I am referring to your Heritage Rocks not hatchery hybrids) but molting a side, wing feathers seem to be an area of weakness in some. I was going to ask is this something which you are trying to breed out?
    I will not use anymore of the BYC pics again sorry, but it was used to make my point. In England we also have wing flight issues in the Roosters.
    I have looked on the other threads, (heritage large fowl and Good Shephard Ranch) which have some great barreds.
    Is it not possible to get eggs across to the UK?

[​IMG]

This is a poor quality picture of a good pullet breeding cockerel with a slightly split wing on the left side only. I used him last year with good results, all wing issue birds were culled.
    I used this boy on large hens which had longer backs which has helped lengthen the pullets, trying to get the type closer to the Rock standard and away from the attractive Wyandotte type often seen here.
    I will post a picture soon of his son.

8. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Split wing and dumpy tails are a problem here in the US too. It seems to be specific to just the barreds for some reason. The bantam barred Rocks are much worse in that respect.

Walt

9. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    Britrock, do you have a few more pictures of your birds you could post, maybe a couple of pullets or hens also?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some of Rex and his girls, who are about 39 weeks, give or take a week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by