Plywood vs OSB?

I built Catawba tractors for some extra income this year and did two of them using OSB in order to cut down on costs for a couple of buyers. They worked out nicely. All I would say is make sure to prime and use some good quality outdoor paint. I used what I thought was good quality spray paint for outdoors and even though there were two or three layers, it flaked pretty bad. Live and learn!

I did build a brooder box for myself with an OSB lid and never got around to treating it with anything, so I got a good picture of how it holds up to nearly daily rain, as well as snow. The edges swelled a bit and it bowed where I had it propped up on the sides for ventilation during the summer. Not bad for untreated OSB though!

Here are some pictures:

13565_coop_brooder_chicks_020.jpg

13565_marybeth_coop2_012.jpg

13565_finalwhidbey_018.jpg

Kristen, it looks pretty good to me.

We're in the process of building the coop now and I did opt for the OSB. I've got exterior primer and paint, so I think it'll be ok. OSB floor with primer will have vinyl/linoleum over it so I think it'll be ok there too. Any reason it shouldn't? I'll probably go with some form of deep litter method.

Quote:
I saw these the other day and yes, they do look very nice. Mine will be a plain 4x8 box, 2 ft from ground. Will eventually build roofed run over and probably 12 ft out past it, giving me 8x12 run plus the 4x8 beneath the coop.

Planning on 6 hens right now so this will be more than adequate, with room for a few more and/or a roo later if I want. I have plenty of 4ft welded wire fence to make little pens I can move around the rest of the yard if I want them to have more room to play while I'm home (and I'm nearly always home).

I could be wrong but I also worry about the amount of glues used in OSB initially in a small coop. Chickens have such sensitive respiratory systems as it is my thinking is why take the chance? I would imagine if you have tons of ventilation when its really new it would be OK, but in super cold winters you may have it locked up too tight. I also live in the PNW where it rains most of the winter so swelling is a drawback for us too. I am a bit obsessive about my pets yet like to be lazy, so I lean toward avoiding all possible problems and extra work from the get go. I like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method in most endeavors even if it costs a little more initially. I have been so pleased that I have done so in the past that I continue to follow that method.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom