Polish Bantam with limp neck and closed eyes

Madmogs12

Hatching
May 16, 2015
Hi, I have a 4 month old gold laced polish bantam rooster called Indiana. I recently noticed that he was on the floor of the coop with his head down. When I picked him up his neck was completely limp and his eyes were shut, he had been perfectly fine the night before. I took him inside and made him comfortable, he opened his eyes but couldn't support his head or body. He didn't have any signs of any respitory infections and his droppings were normal. He was like this for three days, I hand fed by putting small amounts of moistened food with oregano in his beak and gave regular drinks with electrolytes and vitamins in with a dropper. Then after three days he suddenly got up to eat himself and 24 hrs later his is back to his old self. Has anyone got any ideas what caused this? I also posted this to say don't give up hope to people who may have a similar situation :)

I have a young bantam hen who started having balance problems, She has had trouble holding up her head and she can't stand. I have been feeding her by hand and giving her water with a syringe. She seems to be slowly getting better but it has been about 3 weeks now. What does the oregano do? Maybe I need to add that.

I had read a number of articles that oregano has an antibiotic effect in chickens and I tend to throw a handful in their food with chopped garlic and brown rice every so often and it seems to keep them in good health so I thought it would help. Stick with what you are doing the if there are signs of improvement, it's worth it to see them up and healthy again, good luck!:)

Thanks so much. i wasn't aware of that. I will be making that addition to my feeding schedule.

Back
Top Bottom