Polish chickens hardy?

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
I'd like to get a Polish but are they hardy birds? The temps here in the winter usually don't drop below 0 though last winter was Very Cold.

We are zone 5.

I live in Missouri and we keep our Polish in the barn during the winter or weather below freezing. We also have them drink out of fountains that you put on a pop bottle. They can freeze their crest if wet.

I have been told that they can withstand WI weather and I'm getting three delivered on Sat (eggs). What I was told is keep them in an insulated coop with a heat lamp and they will be fine. I have my coop all ready to go.

I find them to be not as hardy as my other breeds. But I think you'll be find if you provide containers for drinking that will keep their crests dry, like Pinenot said, and if you give them a heat lamp on the very coldest nights.

Polish here and I live in Maine, it can get 20 below zero. Unheated coop but draft free. I replace water twice a day in the winter time. Mine hate snow and rarely want to go outside once the snow is on the ground unless I shovel a "chicken patio" spot for them. As other's have said keeping their wattles and crest dry is important in their care.

Quote:
What we didn't tell you is that they sometimes don't do well in mixed flocks and they can have a harder time free ranging if that is your plan. They can't see worth a darn and tend to get their crests picked on. The crests can be trimmed to help with the vision problem but other chickens seem to love to pick on their heads. I thought you were looking for cold hardness information so this knowledge might effect your decision.

Still love my polish though, they are so funny.

I never even thought about how a Polish would get along w/the rest of the flock. I just kind of assumed it would mix well w/the others.
hmm.png

Are yours with a mixed flock?

Mine is in a mixed flock and did well until the chicks my broody hen hatched grew up. Now the 2 roosters are picking on poor Croc and all the other original roosters.

Back
Top Bottom