Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was curious if anyone here had experience with breeding Polish to other breeds. I'm asking because last month I hatched 2 eggs from my Polish hens that were fertilized by my Sebright rooster.

The chicks look like this right now. Mostly all Sebright, with the exception of these mohawks they seem to be developing. I'm tryin to figure out what the odds are that they'll actually end up with maybe a partial crest. I know it won't be a full crest like the hens since the chicks weren't born with that domed head.

Any guesses or input is greatly appreciated as the wait to see them fully feathered is driving me nuts!
big_smile.png
Should have partial crests. cute birds

I was curious if anyone here had experience with breeding Polish to other breeds. I'm asking because last month I hatched 2 eggs from my Polish hens that were fertilized by my Sebright rooster.

The chicks look like this right now. Mostly all Sebright, with the exception of these mohawks they seem to be developing. I'm tryin to figure out what the odds are that they'll actually end up with maybe a partial crest. I know it won't be a full crest like the hens since the chicks weren't born with that domed head.

Any guesses or input is greatly appreciated as the wait to see them fully feathered is driving me nuts!
big_smile.png
Was the egg bigger than her normal eggs?...That mohawk is too cool, can't wait to see them mature!

I am seeing that I already have an "alpha" pullet in the sex links, a top of the pecking order already at this very young age. The Polish flies in with them. She is the only one I have, and she flies back out. But thank you for the heads up and I will keep an eye open and watch how this plays out. The Polish is older and larger at this time than the Sex link chicks, but the Polish already has a name, and is a pet, so I may very well be rehoming the Sex Links, at some time in the future.

My friend's sexlinks were okay as pullets but as adults they got assertive on gentles like her EEs. She had one sexlink that kept getting eggbound her eggs were so big and my friend had to keep putting her in warm water to relax but the eggs sometimes came out all wierd. Another one died unknown why and finally the 3rd one died. She never replaced the sexlinks.

Polish are incredibly sweet and just because they are the older hen doesn't mean they won't get hurt by the younger sexlinks as they mature. If you keep the egg layers separated from the gentle pets you can still have eggs but enjoy the pets. We decided to make our one flock all gentle non-combative breeds and we get plenty enough eggs for just two of us.

My feeling is that the following breeds qualify as gentle or non-combative hens that would mix well in one flock without serious politics: Ameraucana, Araucana, Breda, Cochin bantams, Crevecoeur, EEs, Faverolles, Houdan, Pavlovskaja, Polish, Silkie, Sultan. There are larger gentle breeds like Brahma, Dorking, Sussex, etc, but I hesitate putting these larger sized gentles with the smaller gentles just because they could be tempted to bully - it's a chicken thing.

Some ppl don't have problems mixing layers, dual-purpose, or gentles together if they have a huge property where the breeds can clique in their own group but in an enclosed pen or small yard like ours there could be injuries from politics in close spaces.

Back
Top Bottom