Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
My polish bantam Marian, is to funny. When it was windy the other day, I let the flock of four out. Marian is the littlest of them all and is the only polish. They all flew as best as they could to the blackberry bush. Marian got in the air but blew away! She blew ten feet to the right and when she landed, she looked around and was all surprised.

I couldn't help but laugh

Yes, the idea is this batch will be my "fun" birds - the eggs will be just a bonus. Right now I have 4 birds laying - my two ducks, once lays about 6 eggs per week and the other about 5. My EE is laying about 4 eggs per week and whatever one of the new babies is laying (I'm thinking the white rock but can't be sure) I've gotten 4 eggs from in the last week as well. So 1.5 dozen per week on average and they all aren't laying yet, so that is plenty of eggs for us! This is backyard hobby, not really for selling or anything (trying to become more self sufficient). The Polish just look like so much fun! I have heard some people will trim their bangs so that they can see better?
My Polish are the most comical birds we have! Our rooster makes so many different sounds and the girls all respect and follow his leadership. He is hands down the best rooster we have ever had.

It's good to read that the Polish breed is full of personality. My goal is to have a few in the Spring. Can't go wrong with a chicken that looks like it has a constant bad-hair day ;-) I only have 8 chickens now, but plan to expand... I hope. I want to have a nice mixed group of different breeds, the Polish being the dominant one. Considering Orpingtons, Australorps and a few Silkies.

Is is true that the Polish breed can get a bit testy because of their impaired sight from their head feathers? I read that one can give them a bit of a trim if it becomes too much of a problem.

It's good to read that the Polish breed is full of personality. My goal is to have a few in the Spring. Can't go wrong with a chicken that looks like it has a constant bad-hair day ;-) I only have 8 chickens now, but plan to expand... I hope. I want to have a nice mixed group of different breeds, the Polish being the dominant one. Considering Orpingtons, Australorps and a few Silkies.

Is is true that the Polish breed can get a bit testy because of their impaired sight from their head feathers? I read that one can give them a bit of a trim if it becomes too much of a problem.

OMG, I had no idea that the other chickens would rip up those crests... yikes. thanks for that info. I'll have to take that into consideration. Must be a jealousy thing, ha ha ha. So do Polish chickens get along with eachother or is the ripping thing exist within their group as well? Since I'm thinking of getting Silkies, maybe I ought to think of building a coop/run for just those two types and have yet another coop/run built for other breeds. OMG, my hubby is going to kill me, LOL.

My motto... ha ha ha!

OMG, I had no idea that the other chickens would rip up those crests... yikes. thanks for that info. I'll have to take that into consideration. Must be a jealousy thing, ha ha ha. So do Polish chickens get along with eachother or is the ripping thing exist within their group as well? Since I'm thinking of getting Silkies, maybe I ought to think of building a coop/run for just those two types and have yet another coop/run built for other breeds. OMG, my hubby is going to kill me, LOL.

My motto... ha ha ha!
My Polish are in a mixed flock. We have all sizes ranging from Silkies to Brahmas. They all get along just fine and no crests are bothered. Our flock is about 25 hens/pullets and 5 cockerels/roosters.

I wish I could have left my flock mixed. I raised my polish with eggers, marans and wyandottes. They nearly were murdered and I had to separate the Polish. Maybe my layers are just mean?

My motto... ha ha ha!

I'll have to brainwash my hubby to do the same, LOL. I have a friend who builds my coops/runs, so I get him to do the work. He's pretty experienced with chickens and livestock, so it's a real help. I can't wait to show him the birds I want to get on my wish list! BTW, got that pendant on Amazon.com ;-) I love it!

I wish I could have left my flock mixed. I raised my polish with eggers, marans and wyandottes. They nearly were murdered and I had to separate the Polish. Maybe my layers are just mean?
Wow. It must have been really distressing to find the birds attacked. I love my birds, and if anything happened to them I would be very upset. I will have to keep those factors in mind before acquiring more chickens.

Back
Top Bottom