Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Hello, fellow Polish fans.
frow.gif
I bought two Golden Laced Polish pullets last June, and one died, so when I saw a Craigslist Ad for two Polish hens, I jumped on the chance. I'm so glad I did! I picked them up today. Lookie, Lookie! I'm so happy right now.

They are gorgeous!

Hey I was researching Bredas and ran across this piece of information on a scientific study.

Discontinuous variability of brain composition among domestic chicken breeds.

Rehkämper G, Kart E, Frahm HD, Werner CW.
Author information

Abstract

In 80 domestic chickens from 8 breeds, the volumes of 12 brain parts were identified as dimensions in a cluster analysis. Based on Euclidean metrics and the Ward algorithm at least 2 groups were found that are congruent with the breeds 'White Crested Polish chicken' and 'Breda', although the breed identity was not a variable used in the cluster analysis. Domestication is interpreted as evolution which includes the possibility of speciation. It is hypothesized that White Crested Polish chickens and Bredas are becoming new species in terms of a biospecies concept.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12660443

So the White Crested Polish and the Breda are on their way to becoming a new species.

Awwww so beutyful

They are gorgeous!

Thank you.
big_smile.png
Buff gave me a scare yesterday. She slipped out of the coop and ran for her life. In my chase, I slid in a ditch, climbed a tree, jumped a fence, and crawled through barbed wire. The good news is, she is back in my coop. The bad news is, I am scratched up from the waste up, but it's not from anything listed above. I also had to crawl through thorny bushes, where she was hiding.

Gotta do what you gotta do.
idunno.gif

That is interesting... So this new species is the only creature in the world that would have started as a domesticated animal.

Possibly. It is the first one that I have heard of. Most changes were caused by the domestication itself. Example wolf to dog. They believe that the species of wolf that became dogs is extinct now. It has always boggled my mind that the same wolven ancestor eventually produced both the Irish Wolfhound and the Chihuahua.

My thoughts exactly. There is a project in another country where students (I think I read that right... It's been a while) are trying to domesticate foxes. Some foxes have already started wagging their tails. The project is supposed to replicate what happened with wolves.

My thoughts exactly. There is a project in another country where students (I think I read that right... It's been a while) are trying to domesticate foxes. Some foxes have already started wagging their tails. The project is supposed to replicate what happened with wolves.

That started with he Russian fur industry in the 1990's. They began to breed the more docile foxes together to make it easier to handle. Problem was the coat colors began to change and became spotted and off colored from the natural wild color. Totally ruined what the furriers were wanting but was the first indication of why dogs look so different from wolves. So a pet fox industry sprang up and the scientist began to observe it closely.

Back
Top Bottom